🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Why do I get more and more irrelevant jobs on...
Page options
ivanburmistrov
Community Member

Why do I get more and more irrelevant jobs on my job feed?

I can't afford to spend 3-5 hours a day to scroll through my job feed. Too many jobs are absolutely irrelevant. How does the Upwork algorithm work when compiling the job feed? What factors are taken into account?

12 REPLIES 12
florydev
Community Member

If you hover over the My Feed it actually tells you. Your feed is made up entirely of your Saved Searches and any take by clouds you are in.

No. Many jobs in my job feed have nothing to do with saved searches. Their algorithm works differently, and I want to understand how it actually works...

Ivan B wrote:

No. Many jobs in my job feed have nothing to do with saved searches. Their algorithm works differently, and I want to understand how it actually works...

I don't think anyone can give you more information than that, but I am personally sufficiently satisified that what I am saying is true because I have experimented with it a lot.  I can't help it if you refuse to believe me but here is how you can test for yourself.

Go find a job that shouldn't be in your feed.  Go to each of your saved searches as if you were editing them, find the job in there.  It might help to add a couple of keywords that you find in the job.

Beyond having a bad search, the most likely problem is that clients often tag things incorrectly or something in the system is. In my case it is very common for clients looking for architecture (like buildings) work to show up in the software architecture tag.  I just ignore them.  But if you have a lot of jobs that don't fit then I would look at that.

Hello Mark,

I analyzed many jobs on my job feed and it seems the main problem is that clients are allowed to select as many “skills and expertise” tags as they want. Many of them select more than a dozen of tags (often rather fuzzy) and as a result millions of freelancers get too many irrelevant jobs on their job feeds.

Thank you for your idea! You are right.

I recommended Upwork to limit job tags allowed to clients to 3-5, the most critical to their job offer. This will force the clients to behave more responsibly.

Cordially,

Ivan

Tell me more about "clouds", please. I know nothing about those clouds...

Ivan B wrote:

Tell me more about "clouds", please. I know nothing about those clouds...

Well I really can't because I am not in any Enterprise Talent clouds so I really don't understand what it is beyond reading this stuff:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025585734-Enterprise-Talent-Cloud

JoanneP

Hi Ivan,

Could you please try removing your current saved search results and adding new ones? You can search by skills, industry, or keywords and refine your searches with our filters. Once you have the desired search result you can save it (by clicking on the green button) and the jobs will be listed under your job feed. You can also check this help article for more information. If the issue persists please reach out to us and we will assist you further.

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hi Joanne,

Am I understanding you correctly that you recommend me to remove my current search keywords and then re-enter them? My current keywords are relevant to my skills, so why to delete and then re-enter them? Your recommendation looks absurd (on first glance), because the expected result will be the same job feed. Am I wrong?

Best,

Ivan

Hi Ivan,

We'd recommend this step to ensure that all the searches saved are only those relevant to you. If you have already tried it and it still did not give you the correct results, then our team will be happy to check further to help you. Please know that I have escalated your concern to our team. One of our agents will reach out to you via a support ticket. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hello Joanne,

Thank you very much for escalating my concern to the Upwork team! They already contacted me and I provided them with some ideas on how to improve Upwork job search algorithms.

Best,

Ivan

Hello sir,
I am facing the same problem of getting irrelevant jobs in my feed.
I have read all of your convo,i am facing exactly the same problem just like you.
Can you please tell me what the upwork team have said to you about this problem?

Hello Zubair,

Naturally, Upwork team was unable to provide any useful recommendations, so I found a workaround myself. The trick is to click icons that appear to the right of saved searches on mouse hover:

Feed.png

Since then, I no longer look at the main job feed at all.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths