cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I have a "Below Average" result in a test in which I reaced a high score?

Highlighted
Sara F Member Since: May 27, 2015
1 of 10

Hello everybody!
I'm new on Upwork and I'm taking my first tests to prove my skills.
In a test I got 4.90 on 5 but my resul has been classified as "below average", even if I used only 13 minutes on 40 minutes available.
How is it possible? I answered correctly to all the questions in a few minutes!
Thank you to everybody!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
2 of 10

possible because the average score of everybody who has taken the test in the past is above 4.9. it doesn't mean the average of 1 - 10. It must be a very high-scoring test, and you fared worsee than more than half of its takers.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tamaz J Member Since: Nov 4, 2014
3 of 10

Hi Sara,

I think that remark from the system (i.e. bellow average) this is somethig what you see in your own profile when logged in. From "outside" of your profile what I see is 91 percent which is I believe good.

Am I wrong  or this is the case?

Thanks

Highlighted
Sara F Member Since: May 27, 2015
4 of 10

No, I think other people see the points I reached (4.9 on 5) and the description "Below average" too...
Actually I had a lot of problems with upworks tests: for example, I have finished another test, passing it with a high score, but Upwork doesn't allow me to show this test on my profile (it's a creative writing test).
I tried to take the same test one more time and they told me that it could be possible by the next month!

Maybe there could be something to improve with their system of testing online...

Thank you, by the way!

Sara

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
5 of 10

Sara,

You "think" other people can see what another person has just told you she cannot see? Well, OK then!

Best,

Michael

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
6 of 10

Sara F wrote:

No, I think other people see the points I reached (4.9 on 5) and the description "Below average" too...
Actually I had a lot of problems with upworks tests: for example, I have finished another test, passing it with a high score, but Upwork doesn't allow me to show this test on my profile (it's a creative writing test).
I tried to take the same test one more time and they told me that it could be possible by the next month!

Maybe there could be something to improve with their system of testing online...

Thank you, by the way!

Sara

Sara,

When you first posted your question there was only one test result visible on your profile. A few people tried to help you/explain things.

I am not sure why you replied to the one (fairly new) person who wasn't sure about their answer when there was advice offered by people who have been here a lot longer such as Stephen.

Anyway, now there are a lot more test results. What people see depends on whether they see your public profile (only percentiles such as 91) or your full profile (4.9 out of 5.0).

I would like to focus on the one test you queried first: Your Italian-English test - where you scored 4.9 and yet seem to be below average.

I took a screenshot - this is what I can see: 2456 people were (apparently) better than you (perfect). Time doesn't matter. You have 40 minutes and being a lot quicker doesn't help. I am speaking from experience.

I agree that it looks really weird. Your score is almost perfect. And yet so many people seem to have done better.

Sara F.2015-06-01 at 01.00.23.png

P.S. You can only take every test once per month.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
7 of 10

@Sara F wrote:

In a test I got 4.90 on 5 but my resul has been classified as "below average", even if I used only 13 minutes on 40 minutes available.
How is it possible? I answered correctly to all the questions in a few minutes!
Thank you to everybody!

Hi Sara,

The only score I can see on your profile is the U.S. English Basic Skills Test where you scored 4.4 out of 5.0 - which puts you in the top 10%.

As for below average re any other test you may have taken and hidden from your profile - what Stephen said.

Ela

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
8 of 10

I find many of the tests on here to be redundant and completely out of date for some categories. 

Highlighted
Cyrus K Member Since: Aug 6, 2020
9 of 10

Hello,  tests should take 10 minutes not more.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
10 of 10

Cyrus K wrote:

Hello,  tests should take 10 minutes not more.

What are you even talking about? The tests discussed in this ancient thread aren't even available anymore and haven't been for a loooong time.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS