🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Why do clients pause contracts instead of clo...
Page options
irieislandgirl
Community Member

Why do clients pause contracts instead of closing them?

Hey Peeps!

Update. The client that I wrote about this past Monday, August 12th, the one that said they needed to pause the contract for the week, just paused the contract on Friday, August 16th, and stated they no longer need a full-time assistant. Why I was hired in the first place getting trained and working only two weeks is beyond me. 

Anyway. My question is. Why do some clients pause contracts if they no longer need someone rather than close them? Has anyone else had that experience? I will reach out to them and ask them. I just want my fellow freelancers' input. 

6 REPLIES 6
prestonhunter
Community Member

I actively encourage clients to close contracts when there is no work to be done, even if there may be work to do in the future.

I explain that I would be happy to help with the project again in the future, and I assure them that I'm not going anywhere and that I am easy to find here on Upwork. I point out that it is easy to start a new contract if they need my help again.

petra_r
Community Member

Melinda M wrote:

Anyway. My question is. Why do some clients pause contracts if they no longer need someone rather than close them?

Sometimes because they may want the freelancer to do occasional other tasks, and sometimes because they don't want to leave feedback.

Well. If it would be because they do not want to leave feedback, that would really suck! Smiley Frustrated

Melinda M wrote:

Well. If it would be because they do not want to leave feedback, that would really suck! Smiley Frustrated

It's a good thing sometimes.

e_ifire
Community Member

As for me a client hired me for a job, he then paused the contract immediately after hiring . He later  reached out to me that I should give him some more time to organize my position, it's now six months, I've never heard anything from him and he don't respond to my messages, the contract is still paused. I didn't earn anything from it, and if I ask him to close or if I close it myself it will definately hurt my jss, I really don't know what to do.

I guess they do like you but for some reason such as changes in the project, budget, etc. they don't need you right now. Still they want to have you handy, but since they are not sure when they'll have stuff to give you they prefer to pause the contract which is easier than closing it and to look for you later. I don't think rehire someone later is a hassle, but human beings are naturally lazy. Smiley LOL

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths