🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Why do we have discrimination of countries to...
Page options
07899f1a
Community Member

Why do we have discrimination of countries to apply

Why do we have discrimination of countries to apply for a particular job? Many times, I will want to render my service but due to the location inserted in the job description, I had to back out. Cant Jobs on Upwork be for all?

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous-User
Not applicable

Some clients insist on geographic locations, which helps with communication.

I know,  I am from the UK but live in Thailand and some posts are for UK freelancers, I don't make the cut, I understand that.

ArjayM

Hi Fakeye,

Clients have expressed the need to hire within their own country. Their projects may require localized knowledge, the possibility of on-site coordination, specific compliance needs, or other factors that make finding talent within their country an easier way to get started on Upwork.  We want to capture these clients by addressing their immediate needs. By doing so, we hope to get them started on Upwork before opening the door to future projects that can be done globally.

~ Arjay
Upwork
sh_jyoti
Community Member

I agree with @ArjayM . Clients have diverse needs and they know the best when they are posting a project.

I don't think this is discriminatory at all.

I'm from India and I have got many projects posted by the US based clients who wanted translation in an Indian language. Those projects specifically asked for an Indian native and I got those projects. 

I think this is mostly becasue "local" and "global" requirements are different. I keep this fact in mind when I apply for various projects. Do I have the required specialization in that topic? If not, then I don't apply. 

martina_plaschka
Community Member

You can still apply, it's only a preference, not a requirement. If a US client, for example, set his job to "US only", this job would not show up in your feed at all. In that case, you can't apply, but you will never see this job. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members