cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Why does Upwork allow jobs without deliverables?

aleksey_33
Aleksej K Member Since: Dec 29, 2016
21 of 27

@Rene K wrote:

Alternatively, you can hire someone to come to your place and to click for you if you don't like clicking.

Rene, by this way I may create my own upwork **Edited for Community Guidelines** 😃

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
22 of 27

There is "a deliverable," it is just not specified in the job posting.

I know the client you refer to and you know as well as I do that neither of us would ever waste time applying to one of their job postings.

When there is no word count but I am interested I just apply with a request for the relevant details.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
23 of 27

@Joachim M wrote:

Why does Upwork allow a continously growing number of job postings without deliverables? It mostly affects fixed price jobs. 

Sometimes clients don't think forward when they write their proposals, especially about what the contractor would need in order to give a quote.

But sometimes they don't attach the document because it contains sensitive or confidential info. Yes, they could at least mention the metrics. And sometimes they do but the wrong way, for instance by giving a page count for translation instead of a word count. Because they think the page count is the metric that translators use.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
24 of 27

The problem is that there's such a huge variety of different jobs here that it is a ridiculously mammoth task to make a list of requirements for everything.

Like Petra said, you can choose to ignore the post, or you can make a proposal requesting the info needed if you think it sounds like it might be interesting.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
25 of 27

Hi All,

When the client posts a job in most categories they will see additional fields that asks them to provide more specifics about the job, i. e. operation system and whether or not the client has designs or specifications for development projects; language pair for translation jobs, additional files, etc. However, it's not a violation of Upwork ToS for the client not to provide information about the job they don't want to share. That's why the jobs you are referring to won't be removed by Upwork team. 

~ Valeria
Upwork
jmeyn
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
26 of 27

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi All,

When the client posts a job in most categories they will see additional fields that asks them to provide more specifics about the job, i. e. operation system and whether or not the client has designs or specifications for development projects; language pair for translation jobs, additional files, etc. However, it's not a violation of Upwork ToS for the client not to provide information about the job they don't want to share. That's why the jobs you are referring to won't be removed by Upwork team. 

Valeria, there is no need to specifiy what is required. That would be impossible to do. It would suffice to say in the ToS that a job posting has to specify enough deliverables that a proposal is possible without asking for more details. On the job page you even list this in the items for the thumbs down icon. But as the thumbs down icon is for some unknown internal purposes only, there is no learning by the clients. I gave up using the thumbs down icon for this reason.

prospect39
Community Leader
Peter G Member Since: Aug 1, 2015
27 of 27

In my experience, these listings are usually posted by farmers seeking new minions. So unless a freelancer is interested in cranking out "content" by the ton for low-low wages, it's best to ignore most of them.

Many of these listings remind me of the classfied ads posted by temp and employment agencies back in the "olden days." The same ads would appear every week, boasting about great pay, benefits and interesting work. But if you were foolish enough to visit an agency, you'd discover that the ad was just a bait-and-switch tactic.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS