Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Why does Upwork allow jobs without deliverables?

jmeyn
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
1 of 27

Why does Upwork allow a continously growing number of job postings without deliverables? It mostly affects fixed price jobs. Here's an example:

 

We need to translate a text from English to German language. This need to be done ASAP with a great precision and quality of translation.
We are looking forward to receiving your application.

 

No file attached, no scope mentioned, only a budget of $5. And, it's not the first time this client posts such a "detailed" job description. 

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
2 of 27

My question is why so many adult professionals believe they need Upwork to allow or not allow so many things instead of just making their own judgments about postings like adult professionals.

jmeyn
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
3 of 27

It's just that this kind of sloppy RFPs is on the rise again. Why can't Upwork implement what we had on Elance?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 27

@Joachim M wrote:

It's just that this kind of sloppy RFPs is on the rise again. Why can't Upwork implement what we had on Elance?


 You need to make a New Year's Resolution to let go of "what we had on Elance!"

 

It is gone. It is dead. It is the past. It is history.

 

It was a nice experiment which worked for a while, then failed, sunk, and burned. RIP.

jmeyn
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
5 of 27

@Petra R wrote:

@Joachim M wrote:

It's just that this kind of sloppy RFPs is on the rise again. Why can't Upwork implement what we had on Elance?


 You need to make a New Year's Resolution to let go of "what we had on Elance!"

 

It is gone. It is dead. It is the past. It is history.

 

It was a nice experiment which worked for a while, then failed, sunk, and burned. RIP.


 I agree, so let's say, like we have on other sites :-). The British freelancer site at least notifies the client that his RFP is missing the details necessary to prepare a proposal. 

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
6 of 27

@Joachim M wrote:

It's just that this kind of sloppy RFPs is on the rise again. Why can't Upwork implement what we had on Elance?


 Joachim . . . you know this won't happen . . . other than getting non-Elancers breathing fire and brimstone down your neck.

 

For some reason Upwork has eschewed not only all the good Elance features, but also the good oDesk features. Upwork is Upwork - sink or swim. Smiley Sad

 

Actually, for us, it is neither sinking nor swimming - but wading - laboriously.

jmeyn
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
7 of 27

I know Nichola :-(. I was just so fed up and had to vent somehow. Less than 15% of my revenue originates from Upwork nowadays. Most of the business is direct followed by the British freelancer site. Upwork is third only.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
8 of 27

@Joachim M wrote:

Most of the business is direct followed by the British freelancer site. 


Is that Posh Per Hour?

 

:-)

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
jmeyn
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
9 of 27

@Rene K wrote:

@Joachim M wrote:

Most of the business is direct followed by the British freelancer site. 


Is that Posh Per Hour?

 

:-)


 Yes exactly. I didn't do many jobs there, but large ones :-) And you never need connects/credits. I'm always invited by the site to quote without spending credits.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
10 of 27

@Joachim M wrote:

@Rene K wrote:

@Joachim M wrote:

Most of the business is direct followed by the British freelancer site. 


Is that Posh Per Hour?

 

:-)


 Yes exactly. I didn't do many jobs there, but large ones :-) And you never need connects/credits. I'm always invited by the site to quote without spending credits.


Interesting. I may give it a (second) try. May I not?

 

With a cup of tea.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS