cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does Upwork allow jobs without deliverables?

aleksey_33
Aleksej K Member Since: Dec 29, 2016
11 of 27

Maybe it's because Upwork is getting money from adult professionals and these professionals may to ask Upwork to improve service? Something like pre-moderation of job's description. I'm newbie here. I like Upwork's service. But I think, with 20% fees(I know about few levels but let's be honest - most of us pays 20%) it may be more better. I explain - I can choose good proposal. But I want think about how can I do a job, but not about is this proposal a job, or a joke, or a mistake. Especially it is important for newbies like me - without good job history I have to sent many proposals hoping that somebody will hire me. So, I have to spend many connects. And if task's description looks like something that I can do, but later I understand that it is not...it's sad. I think, that Upwork must filter such trash.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
12 of 27

@Aleksej K wrote:

Maybe it's because Upwork is getting money from adult professionals and these professionals may to ask Upwork to improve service? Something like pre-moderation of job's description. I'm newbie here. I like Upwork's service. But I think, with 20% fees(I know about few levels but let's be honest - most of us pays 20%) it may be more better. I explain - I can choose good proposal. But I want think about how can I do a job, but not about is this proposal a job, or a joke, or a mistake. Especially it is important for newbies like me - without good job history I have to sent many proposals hoping that somebody will hire me. So, I have to spend many connects. And if task's description looks like something that I can do, but later I understand that it is not...it's sad. I think, that Upwork must filter such trash.

Would you prefer to pay 30% or 40% fees so that Upwork could employ a stable of new employees to review each of the hundreds of thousands of job postings in advance so that you didn't have to spend a few seconds doing so yourself?

aleksey_33
Aleksej K Member Since: Dec 29, 2016
13 of 27

@Tiffany S wrote:

@Aleksej K wrote:

Would you prefer to pay 30% or 40% fees so that Upwork could employ a stable of new employees to review each of the hundreds of thousands of job postings in advance so that you didn't have to spend a few seconds doing so yourself?

Really? Do you think it will cost us such sums? First steps for this functional must be automated, and only little part of posting will be filtered manually. I can do many things by myself, but if I pay for service, I think I may ask to impove it too. 

jmeyn
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
14 of 27

@Tiffany S wrote:

@Aleksej K wrote:

Tiffany, you don't need a bunch of new employees to scan thousands of jobs. There exists this wonderful system of flagging jobs (Flag as inappropriate). You just have to add this item to the list. Worked with Elance and works fine with PPH and Guru. 

I myself quote on these trash jobs only if I have enough connects to spare and then I merely ask the job poster to provide the details. Never received a reply. On PPH you can even ask the job poster to provide the missing details before quoting and in most cases even receive a reply.

I just posted my complaint to vent off some steam as the number of these trash jobs is on the rise again. Even if one doesn't quote one has wade through them.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
15 of 27

In the translation category today is:

"Need translation for an appointment". That's it. No language specified. However, the job is hourly and the client wants an expert - of course.

I think this is an inappropriate job "offer".

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
16 of 27

Hi Nichola,

The description you mentioned does fall short of what would be considered an appropriate outline for a job post, so please flag the job and our team will follow up with the client.

Untitled
colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
17 of 27

Thanks Vladimir, I have, but I had to check the phishing/fraud box (even if it is not the case) because there are not enough "appropriate" categories in the drop-down menu - just sayin'. Smiley Frustrated

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
18 of 27

@Joachim M wrote:

Tiffany, you don't need a bunch of new employees to scan thousands of jobs. There exists this wonderful system of flagging jobs (Flag as inappropriate). You just have to add this item to the list. Worked with Elance and works fine with PPH and Guru. 

Based on the constant complaints in the forums about how jobs that have been flagged are still active a week later, I'd say that's not working all that well...most likely because the staff reviewing them is already overwhelmed.

jmeyn
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
19 of 27

@Tiffany S wrote:

@Joachim M wrote:

Based on the constant complaints in the forums about how jobs that have been flagged are still active a week later, I'd say that's not working all that well...most likely because the staff reviewing them is already overwhelmed.

Tiffany, if you don't flag but report them via support ticket the response is really swift. I'd say it's a matter of priorities at Upwork and flagging has a lower priority than support tickets. Further, as three sites proved it can managed...

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
20 of 27

@Aleksej K wrote:

I think, that Upwork must filter such trash.

Do it yourself. It will cost less than having Upwork doing it for you. It takes just one click to discard a job that you don't want to apply to.

Alternatively, you can hire someone to come to your place and to click for you if you don't like clicking.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS