🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Why does Upwork data takes so looooooong to r...
Page options
abdallah_abis
Community Member

Why does Upwork data takes so looooooong to refresh?!

I have been freelancing on Upwork for about 5 months, and I can definitely say that this thing drives me crazy.

• You don't get real-time proposals sent.
  • You don't get a real-time interviewing number
  • Jobs are not immediately shown on my profile, I've taken a job for 2 days and it's still not on my profile.
  • Amount earned don't refresh in days.
  • My stats section is a pain in the neck! takes 1 week!

Why does this take so long for Upwork, Facebook has real-time stuff and has 2 billion users. isn't Upwork that large company that should consider the user experience? Or it is a large company but it just doesn't care!!!

Can anyone answer this?

17 REPLIES 17
df602768
Community Member

The fact that UpWork provides freelancers with money protection through Escrow is enough to make me feel happy using it.

Also, you cannot compare Facebook with UpWork. It's like comparing apples and oranges. UpWork is not a social media network but a representation of the global market!

To me, the user experience is fine. I like it.

Thanks for your opinion.

I'm not comparing Facebook and Upwork as platforms, but since both have data that gets displayed to the end-user then it's fine to compare that part. cause the same process that facebook goes on when showing you the current likes on your picture is what Upwork does to show you the current proposals sent to a client but they both handle that differently and with no doubt Facebook wins.

Regarding the money protection, don't forget that you are paying for that, Plus Upwork protects clients more than Freelancers :).

Hey there!

Thanks for replying.

Can you prove that they use the same resources/processes? 

It's interesting how you put it. 

I didn't state that they use the same resources nor processors. I said that they both have to deliver the same job but Facebook handles that so much better than Upwork.

Abdallah wrote:

I said that they both have to deliver the same job

No, they do not.

You can't compare Facebook and Upwork, that is nothing short of ridiculous. 

I didn't state that they use the same resources nor processors.

Nobody said you said processors. K said you said processes, and you actually did say processes. Whch is also false.

No, they do not.

You can't compare Facebook and Upwork, that is nothing short of ridiculous.

Well, What's the point in showing the number of proposals on a job post? and what's the point of showing the number of likes on a Facebook post?

aren't they both aiming in one direction, showing other users the number of something in real-time?

Nobody said you said processors. K said you said processes, and you actually did say processes. Whch is also false.

I miss read that, but anyways they are trying to deliver the same thing (real-time stats) but Upwork doesn't handle that is it should be handled.

Abdallah A wrote:

but anyways they are trying to deliver the same thing

No, they do not.

No, they do not.

Prove it Smiley Very Happy

Abdallah A wrote:

No, they do not.

Prove it Smiley Very Happy

Don't be ridiculous.

Don't be ridiculous.

Never seen someone communicates the way you do lol.

Abdallah A wrote:

Don't be ridiculous.

Never seen someone communicates the way you do lol.

Look, Upwork and Facebook can't be compared. They have completely different functions and the way some things are displayed on Upwork is by design, not because its "slow" - for example it makes no sense (or would even be counterproductive) to recalculate everything on the My Stats page in real time.

Earnings and contracts show on profiles when money has been processed. So a job that started 2 days ago would only show if you've been paid for it already or the payment has been processed.

That is meant to be that way. It's not because it's slow, it's because it is designed that way.

for example it makes no sense (or would even be counterproductive) to recalculate everything on the My Stats page in real time.

Why wouldn't it make sense! I would love to see my profile views per day, that might not be useful for you but it does for me, at least it should be updated every 24h. Plus, what about proposals! I refresh the page after writing a proposal and just before sending it and I see "Less than 5", I send the proposal and I see "10 to 15". I end a contract and it takes hours to show on my profile and a lot of other stuff.

Earnings and contracts show on profiles when money has been processed. So a job that started 2 days ago would only show if you've been paid for it already or the payment has been processed.

What is the "Jobs in Progress" tab for if it won't show what I'm doing in real-time to other potential clients?!

That is meant to be that way. It's not because it's slow, it's because it is designed that way.

This means that Upwork doesn't care, I would refresh everything in real-time or at least every day for my users. If other platforms that deal with users and have large data can refresh things in real-time then Upwork can too, but they are not ready to invest in something that would help its users they only want to make money.

The scope, KPI's, objectives, corporate DNA and business framework of Upwork is not the same as FB or any platform that's not close to being one of their competitors.

Real-time data for FB is a must as they process and crunch ads, impulse search and consumer behavior and other variables into a heatmap so they can adjust CPC bidding wars and/or tailor end-users.

Upwork's focus was never about real-time data, but being a B2X/B2M platform that cross blends brokerage, SaaS in some sorts, and HR in one go. 

So their current architecture (UW) is just approached differently. Where real-time data matters less. If I finish a job, it will show up on my profile. there is almost zero difference if it takes 1 day or 1 week. Since freelancers are in it for the long game.

UW makes then corporate or executive decisions where to place their efforts and resources that would fit in a model that's called B2CB2B aka B2M. 

Abdallah A wrote:

...they are not ready to invest in something that would help its users they only want to make money.

Since Upwork has yet to turn a profit, I think the thing they can do that would most help its users would be to make money. For every dollar they make, I make at least eight and usually nine. I'm OK with that.

Not that you asked, but as you read the fora you might want to compare history and earnings between those who come here to fret about stats and response times, and those who suggest our focus is better spent on defining our market niche and delivering superb service to it.

I would refresh everything in real-time or at least every day for my users.

... and when you run your own million Dollar corporation, you're free to do just that. Until such a time, deal with what you've got or do your freelancing on Facebook if that gives you better stats on daily profile views (amazing, I never knew they did that!) and finds you better clients faster.

they only want to make money.

What an outrage! A business that wants to make money. Unbelievable. How dare a company want to make money...

Petra R wrote:

I would refresh everything in real-time or at least every day for my users.

... and when you run your own million Dollar corporation, you're free to do just that. Until such a time, deal with what you've got or do your freelancing on Facebook if that gives you better stats on daily profile views (amazing, I never knew they did that!) and finds you better clients faster.

they only want to make money.

What an outrage! A business that wants to make money. Unbelievable. How dare a company want to make money...

Smiley LOLSmiley LOL Worship Upwork.

Abdallah A wrote:

Smiley LOLSmiley LOL Worship Upwork.

You may want to check her profile to learn what's possible on Upwork for those who effectively work within the system provided rather than wasting time whining about how they would do things differently and throwing around mocking emojis at successful people.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members