🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Why does a randomcompany charging registratio...
Page options
70b5273a
Community Member

Why does a randomcompany charging registration fee?

I am new to upwork and I have no clue how it works but I do know that as freelancer we submit a proposal andif chosen then work on the tak and get paid.

But there is a company where I sent a proposal with 5 connects and they chose me but to start the work the agent is asking registration fee to get hired.

I need to know does it work like that?

Please help in this regard. 🙏 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ashrafkhan81
Community Member

Any company asking you to pay to get hired, to get a premium Id card, or send a registration fee, or whatever the reason maybe is a SCAM! 

Genuine companies or clients never ask for payment from freelancers, no matter how realistic the reason may sound! Lately, there have been many scams on Upwork, so you have to be careful where you burn your connects or what jobs you apply to. 

Any job offering unrealistic payments is most likely a scam, for example, typing job offering 30-40 dollars per hour or a PDf conversion job offering 100s of dollars ...

Another thing to consider when applying is, that you should not apply to a job that mentions their contact information in the job like a WhatsApp number, Email Id, or Telegram. It may be tempting to skip sending a proposal by spending connects and contact them directly, but they are most likely SCAMs. Do not make any contact outside Upwork until and unless a contract has been started on Upwork and the Escrow amount deposited. 

I don't know if the community will bash me for this, but of all the Crypto SCAMs or Frauds reported on the forum, almost 80-90% of victims were from Pakistan since you are also from Pakitan, I want to tell you to never ever in any form pay or get paid outside of Upwork! Do not send any money in Crypto or local currency to anyone or accept to receive money outside Upwork. 

Bets of luck! 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
a_lipsey
Community Member

Yumna S wrote:

I am new to upwork and I have no clue how it works but I do know that as freelancer we submit a proposal andif chosen then work on the tak and get paid.

But there is a company where I sent a proposal with 5 connects and they chose me but to start the work the agent is asking registration fee to get hired.

I need to know does it work like that?

Please help in this regard. 🙏 

No, it does not work like that. This is a scam. 

Also, it's likely they asked you to communicate outside of Upwork. This is a violation of Upwork's TOS to communicate outside Upwork messaging prior to having an Upwork contract in place. If you agreed to talk to them via Skype, Whatsapp, or Telegram, or something else, then you also broke the TOS. 

Go back to the Upwork message center or the job post and flag it as inappropriaate as it is a scam. 

Then block the client. 

Follow the TOS and stay safe. Do not communicate outside Upwork until you have an Upwork contract accepted and in your account, and do not send or receive any funds outside of Upwork. 

70b5273a
Community Member

Thank you Amanda I didn't know that telegram is not allowed. Because so far I have sent 4 proposals and all 4 of them sent me telegram link and with only 1 I communicated.

I thought that's how the process work. Thank you so much for helping me out in this.

I will be very careful now. 

I did communicate with 1 through Upwork but they refused my proposal when I didn't click the  hat link that was sent.

I hope I get better option to start working on this platform. 

Thank you once again for detailed guidelines. 

Please share anything else I have to be careful about.

ashrafkhan81
Community Member

Any company asking you to pay to get hired, to get a premium Id card, or send a registration fee, or whatever the reason maybe is a SCAM! 

Genuine companies or clients never ask for payment from freelancers, no matter how realistic the reason may sound! Lately, there have been many scams on Upwork, so you have to be careful where you burn your connects or what jobs you apply to. 

Any job offering unrealistic payments is most likely a scam, for example, typing job offering 30-40 dollars per hour or a PDf conversion job offering 100s of dollars ...

Another thing to consider when applying is, that you should not apply to a job that mentions their contact information in the job like a WhatsApp number, Email Id, or Telegram. It may be tempting to skip sending a proposal by spending connects and contact them directly, but they are most likely SCAMs. Do not make any contact outside Upwork until and unless a contract has been started on Upwork and the Escrow amount deposited. 

I don't know if the community will bash me for this, but of all the Crypto SCAMs or Frauds reported on the forum, almost 80-90% of victims were from Pakistan since you are also from Pakitan, I want to tell you to never ever in any form pay or get paid outside of Upwork! Do not send any money in Crypto or local currency to anyone or accept to receive money outside Upwork. 

Bets of luck! 

Thank you so much for this clarification. 

Not just Pakistanis , I am not from Pakistan and I got three works and all of them were scams, I got scammed by a company called Appen, after submitting the project they asked me to pay refundable fee 150$ to link my account to their payment  system, and sadly, I did pay 150$ and after they told to pay a refundable 300$ for a membership card to get my payment, the other company, is novaci something library, also asked me to pay a refundable 100$ to link my account to their payment system to get my payment, and today, unfortunately, I got a job from Global publishing library and they sent me a description of different project and each project has a registration fee. And all those scams in less than a week. And none of them talked to me using Upwork messages, either Telegram or gmail. 

And all of them want entry level. So it is obvious why !!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members