🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Why does the public see "Feedback Removed" la...
Page options
paulb2112
Community Member

Why does the public see "Feedback Removed" label when we win a client dispute?

Recently I had a client who I worked with for two days. They agree to pay me $500 for the design rendering of a piece of furniture. It required intense vector work, Photoshop textures  to the tune of 17 layers and about 9 hours of work. At $65 an hour I would have made $585. The cient asked for two revisions. Instead of giving them the design on a white backgound, I knew they were presenting the idea to investors so I created an info graphic of the materials used, with callouts and materials used. I did not recieve a thank you or a comment. But they had me make text changes to it, which means they liked it enough to use it. They gave me two thumbs up in a comment. I also took the item and placed it in a  bedroom environment.This was also a freebie. They recieved all of my recipe files, which I dont normally give out. It was not part of the deal. I never submitted for the first milestone. They paid both milestones at once. Here's the stinger. They gave me three stars and shamed me in the review for not giving them a 'great value' for the price. They never asked for anything that would indicate they were unhappy. When I spoke to an Upork Guru they read through the entire job and said I was obviously correct, and I qualified to get it removed. But then it says "Feedback Removed" under the job title in my public feedback profile. This is wrong. A new client who reads my reviews, all of them are 5 star reviews will see that and think "hmmm, why did the comment get removed." I believe Upwork needs to change this to prtect designers. First off the client was wrong. Yeah I know the "client is always right," but we are not living in the dark ages anymore. We need protection from clients who just want to make trouble for no reason. He knew I had a 100% success rate and merely wanted to destroy my reputation because he had resent for paying what he paid for the work, maybe used to getting $5 logos on Fivvr. If Upwork artists are to be respected, we need to hold clients just as accoutable for their actions as we are held for ours. Why cant we have something else instead of Feedback Removed. Not to be hard about this, but I feel like Upwork is shaming us too. How about leaving it blank??  Nobody will read into why is removed, and there's no implication of any weirdness. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Paul,

I just want to ensure you that having "Feedback removed" on your profile shouldn't deter other clients from working with you.  I'm a Top Rated freelancer with a JSS of 98% and have been working on this platform for about a year.  I too removed one of my client's feedback because I review my profile occasionally and couldn't stand to see a rating less than perfect on my profile.  It hurt me even though I know my work was exactly what the client requested.  I would rather live with "feedback removed" than to see a 4-star rating.  

Move on and continue to apply to jobs that are suitable for you.  Be cautious about who you choose as your client and be confident you will have positive experiences in the future.  

Good luck!

Robin

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
lysis10
Community Member

That message doesn't matter. 

I do feel that to some degree. But I prefer to think we can do something to improve the language.
tlbp
Community Member

Your client expressed their opinion, which they have every right to do. You made a choice to hide that opinion rather than let it stand. Now you have to live with that choice. You can't have everything your way. Although, if it really bothers you, you could give the client all their money back and then the job won't show on your work history anymore. 

Bottom line: If you take their money, you agree to allow them to state an opinion about your work.

The statement "feedback removed" is 100% accurate.

Be grateful that something more shameful isn't there.

Yeah, I'd like to think i work hard enough to not have anything worse there because I'm good at what i do, rather for there to be a system of rating that benefits the client. Removed feedback wasn't there because I did something wrong. The client was wrong.
paulb2112
Community Member

They took my work happily and paid happily. Then they complained afterwards. Their review was capricious and arbitrary. No indication of displeasure.
So I didnt "take their money." They took my art. Clients do and can abuse good faith and can be malicious. It happens more frequently than not. I dont accept abusive clients and shouldn't have to put up with the perception that feedback was removed because of my wrongdoing, when it wasn't. If you dont think there's no room for improvement with how Upwork runs its platform, then you might have adjust your owm expectations.

Paul E wrote:
They took my work happily and paid happily. Then they complained afterwards. Their review was capricious and arbitrary. No indication of displeasure.
So I didnt "take their money." They took my art. Clients do and can abuse good faith and can be malicious. It happens more frequently than not. I dont accept abusive clients and shouldn't have to put up with the perception that feedback was removed because of my wrongdoing, when it wasn't. If you dont think there's no room for improvement with how Upwork runs its platform, then you might have adjust your owm expectations.

The caliber of client you want to work with--that most of us want to and generally do work with--knows full well that "feedback removed" on an otherwise solid job history most likely means you tangled with an unreasonable or spiteful client and you used the well-earned perk that enabled you to have the nasty fb removed. If they think about it at all, which they probably don't. 

Stop obsessing about it and get on with your life.

Phyllis G wrote:

The caliber of client you want to work with--that most of us want to and generally do work with--knows full well that "feedback removed" on an otherwise solid job history most likely means you tangled with an unreasonable or spiteful client 

It depends. Recently I hired a guy with a shiny profile and some feedback removed. I should have paid attention to this tiny detail.

On a bright side, just after I left him my feedback, I spotted a 1-star popping up on his profile from another unhappy client that turned into another feedback removed in minutes. The good news is, because of this, he won't be able to hide the feedback I left.

When someone has more than one of those on their profile, run.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Paul,

I just want to ensure you that having "Feedback removed" on your profile shouldn't deter other clients from working with you.  I'm a Top Rated freelancer with a JSS of 98% and have been working on this platform for about a year.  I too removed one of my client's feedback because I review my profile occasionally and couldn't stand to see a rating less than perfect on my profile.  It hurt me even though I know my work was exactly what the client requested.  I would rather live with "feedback removed" than to see a 4-star rating.  

Move on and continue to apply to jobs that are suitable for you.  Be cautious about who you choose as your client and be confident you will have positive experiences in the future.  

Good luck!

Robin

Good advice, Robin! Thank you
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members