🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Why does upwork do the currency conversion?
Page options
darrylreubens
Community Member

Why does upwork do the currency conversion?

Hello,

I would like to request that when i send money to my bank account (UK GBP) that upwork does not handle the currency conversion at all. 

I do not understand why upwork cannot just send the money to me in USD. I earn in USD, just send it to me as USD. My bank does a fantastic job of getting me the mid market rate but in order for that to happen USD needs to hit my bank for it to occur. At the moment everytime i send money to myself i lose about £60 a month due to the poor conversion rate. I know there are other methods to pay myself but they all have their caveats and not ideal. Just send me the USD, my bank can deal with it!  it's less work for upwork surely! 

It does leave a bitter taste in my mouth, what with the 20% hit on new contracts, membership fees, connects fees and i even have to pay a dollar to send the money to myself in the first place. 

Frustrating!

2 REPLIES 2
petra_r
Community Member

Darryl R wrote:

My bank does a fantastic job of getting me the mid market rate 

Which UK bank gives you the mid market rate? That is literally unheard of.

I agree that the exchange rate offered by Upwork's banking partners is very poor. You may want to use wire transfer which does deliver the funds in US Dollar, but costs $ 30.

You say you lose $ 60 a month at the moment, so paying $ 30 would halve your costs.

Thanks for the advice, i should do this really, its a partial saving anyway!

Starling Bank, a phenomenal bank, would never go back to a high street branch. Their incredible app and zero atm fees abroad is the icing on the cake. UK only though i think. 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members