🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Why doesn't Upwork use Upwork for all interna...
Page options
a1-analytics
Community Member

Why doesn't Upwork use Upwork for all internal jobs?

Would it not make sense for Stephane Kasriel, CEO of Upwork, to list every job posting within Upwork on Upwork first, even full-time positions?

When I can find more Upwork jobs on Indeed.com than Upwork, it leads me to think that the CEO believes in temp and contractor jobs for other companies, but not his own.  It's as though Upwork lacks faith that remote workers can perform as well as full-time employees sitting at a desk in his offices.  Aren't there contractors on Upwork who are willing to take on long-term roles in the below Upwork positions?

Just from a brand perspective, it doesn't look good for Upwork to be using other platforms to find talent without at least posting the same jobs on their own platform.  Drink your own champagne if it's so good.

Fortunately, I have seen Upwork post temp jobs to their own platform, but the higher-paying, longer-term jobs are often to be found here - not on Upwork:

https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=Upwork&l= 

upwork.PNG

8 REPLIES 8
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

If Upwork is posting these jobs on Upwork, it would be as an Enterprise client or some such so you wouldn't necessarily see the corporate name on the job posting.

Also,these appear to be employee type positions, not freelance.

That's true, but are there no so called "Top Rated" contractors with 100% feedback scores who specialize in marketing that would not want a longer-term, higher-paying job?  There are several factors at play to be sure, such as the cost of benefits, and tax implications, and legal status for contractors versus FTEs, but at the core is the job and who is best suited to do the work.  I suspect that there are many contractors on Upwork who could and would do the work.  Plus, back to my point about branding.  Upwork posting their longer-term, higher-paying jobs on other job sites other than Upwork, seems hypocritical - a little like they don't really support the freelance model as a means of running a company most efficiently and effectively.  For that, you need FTEs apparently, and even then, don't look for those type of people on Upwork.  Anyway, thank you for your thoughts Mary, you do raise a good point.

That might make sense, but when Upwork has listed a few jobs, I've seen where they mention Upwork.  Also, I searched for these jobs by job title and also duties, and most don't appear.  Apparently, Upwork is not listing these on their own platform.  I'm not sugesting they don't post FTE jobs on other sites, just that they should list all their jobs on Upwork, even long-term, higher-paying jobs.

petra_r
Community Member

Upwork positions are constantly advertised / filled on Upwork. Many are invite only though.

A large percentage of the people who work for Upwork were recruited via Upwork, both freelancers and employees.

I've seen a few.  Where are the ones in the link I provided or the screenshot?

a1-analytics
Community Member

My challenge to Upwork management is to, "Walk the talk."  Rather than just singing the praises of freelancers and contractors, publish statistics on your own use of freelancers and contractors.  Create an industry benchmark by way of interviews with a representative sampling of industries.  If you are in fact "Walking the talk" and not just paying lip service, then we would expect to see that Upwork is in the top 5% of leveraging freelancers and contractors.  If not - why not?  This is my last comment on the subject.

Gregory John G wrote:

If you are in fact "Walking the talk" and not just paying lip service, then we would expect to see that Upwork is in the top 5% of leveraging freelancers and contractors.  If not - why not?  T

I am pretty sure they are, especially when taking into account the enormous number of people employed and hired by Upwork under payroll and for Enterprise clients.

I am sure Upwork will reach out to you should they feel the desire to discuss an opening with you, as they have to many others.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members