🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Why I don't come up in search results?
Page options
written4yours
Community Member

Why don't I come up in search results?

A friend of mine was hiring through Upwork. He contacted me just out of curiosity to know what I offer as a freelancing service, and I told hime that I am a SEO Copywriter. He searched for SEO Copywriters but couldn't find me anywhere. My profile is not set to private. My title is according to my niche. Why don't I show up in search results? Why do people never invite me to jobs?
11 REPLIES 11
olamipro
Community Member

Search result are rotated/randomized when client are looking for who to invite after job post
petra_r
Community Member

Muhammad S wrote:
A friend of mine was hiring through Upwork. He contacted me just out of curiosity to know what I offer as a freelancing service, and I told hime that I am a SEO Copywriter. He searched for SEO Copywriters but couldn't find me anywhere. My profile is not set to private. My title is according to my niche. Why don't I show up in search results? Why do people never invite me to jobs?

There are over 10,000 results for SEO Copywriter. You will be in there somewhere, but chances of a newbie appearing high in search results of such a desperately oversaturated category are slim.

Forget about invites at this stage of your Upwork career, until you have a history, invites will be few and far between.

My job success score even dropped. I don't have any bad clients or reviews. I just have ongoing projects that are approving the milestones regularly. How does Upwork measure job success?

Did you end any contract in the last 2 weeks ? If yes, one of them definitely rate you low in the private feedback

Yea I did but he was quite happy and gave me 5 stars.

Well, there is a private feedback which is not visible to freelancer where clients will be asked on if they can recommend you and selecting low score have more effect on your job success score than the public visible 5 stars feedback

Muhammad S wrote:
Yea I did but he was quite happy and gave me 5 stars.

Never mind the stars, they are largely irrelevant. Private feedback is what counts.

Looking at your profile there are several reasons why you don't get invited:

You are really making a bit of a mess of your profile. You set your hourly rate at $ 25 (so many clients who want to pay the money you REALLY work at don't even open your profile because they either filtered you out or think they can't afford you, even though you are happily working at a fraction of that.

Set your hourly rate to what you actually work at, then stick to that, increasing it over time, without working below your profile rate. What you're doing now looks disingenuous and as if you have no idea what to charge.

Then you take $ 5 an article jobs, so the clients who might be willing to pay more think you can't be much good if you write articles for $ 5.

Thank you for replying. Actually, I am quite good at writing articles and have won accolades on a national level. I know what to charge as I am a really good Copywriter. Just because I am new to Upwork doesn't mean that I am incompetent. I even wrote an ad for Nestle(pk), and I do know what I am doing. The first 5 dollar job was because I needed some reviews to get things rolling, not because they are worth that. The other one was a 10 minutes task. Nonetheless, I have changed my profile rate to 20$ because your suggestion was sensible. I do have a 20$ per hour contract, and will increase my rate after I complete that job.

Cordially yours,
Salman A.

Muhammad S wrote:
Thank you for replying. Actually, I am quite good at writing articles and have won accolades on a national level. I know what to charge as I am a really good Copywriter.

Then I would strongly suggest you proofread your portfolio pieces to reflect that fact...

Yes I will. But please you must understand the difference between a Copywriter and a Content Writer. I write to sell. I never said that I am a best- seller-top-grammary-native-english level guy. Thank you for your suggestion. I just wanted to know why I am not in the top results. I am not getting invited because I never get showed up in results, and I didn't know why. Any small business owner who needs copy knows that an exclamation mark instead of a full stop is better. Still I don't have an answer.

Muhammad S wrote:
 I just wanted to know why I am not in the top results. I am not getting invited because I never get showed up in results, and I didn't know why.

Because there are well over 10,000 of you and only a few of those can be on the first few pages at any given time. Search results are rotated to a degree, to give everyone a chance, but among 10,000 you won't be on page one that often.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths