cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why don't I get back Connects when Client is unresponsive?

Community Guru
Stephen R Member Since: Jun 19, 2015
1 of 6

Do I get my Connects back if the client cancels the job or if I withdraw my application?

You do not get back your Connects if you withdraw an application. If a job is cancelled without hiring (by the client or Upwork), the Connects used on that application will be returned for you to reuse. Returned Connects are subject to the usual rollover restrictions, maximums, and billing cycle timing. 

I have a  Freelancer Plus membership.

I have 21 job applications out currently.

I have 6 available connects left, which equals 3 jobs i can apply to.

12 of my applications have been tied up for 3 weeks by possible employers who have not responded, interviewed or have hired other artists.

Can someone explain to me why connects can be tied up for over 3 weeks with no hope of employment?

I am I missing something? If I withdraw an app dont i lose them?

Thank you!

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
2 of 6

Because that's the way it is now. They changed things and this is what we have to live with.

Community Guru
3 of 6

So instead of wasting time with forum cheerleaders and disgruntled freelancers

i will send an email to Upwork management.

In the meantime I'll work on other freelance sites. 

Community Guru
Aleksandra K Member Since: Mar 31, 2015
4 of 6

Hi Stephen,

If the client cancels the job you will get your connects back. The problem is that it happens very rare, almost never. If you are lucky enough CS might decide to close the inactive job and give you back your connects, but by the time they do you will probably have a new set from the following month. They leave the jobs open as often clients need more time to choose the right person for the job, or they simply don’t like any of the applicants (of course there are some who never planned on hiring anybody but I like to believe that the number of those clients is decreasing).

If you withdraw the application you lose your connects. If you want to apply for the same job again you will need more connects. The idea of the connects was to make freelancers apply only to jobs they are qualified for. And since it seems to me you that you have a very good profile you are either applying to wrong jobs or you just have bad luck. The competition is huge so maybe you can try a different approach, change your cover letter, play with the rate, whatever it works for you.  

Asking CS to give you answers on this type of questions will be a waste of time. They usually give generated responses that will frustrate you even more. You can search the forum for similar topics and get the answers you need (although for most of them you won’t like what you’re going to find).

Good luck!

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
5 of 6

...and you can do that without having to waste time talking to the cheerleadeers.

Community Guru
6 of 6

Thank you Aleksandra!  Smiley Happy

I am having bad luck. Currently i have 11 job apps that have been in limbo for 3 weeks.

That 22 connects, 22 connects held hostage by clients who cant tie their own shoelaces.

Everything you stated was correct.

They gave me the standard cookie cutter answer. 

My next hot topic is job invites.

I no longer get any. May have to play with my hour rate.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS