🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Why don't clients leave reviews?
Page options
bdcb8474
Community Member

Why don't clients leave reviews?

I've been working on Upwork for a few months now, completing long and complex projects, and all of my clients are satisfied. However, some clients do not close the contracts. Why is this? I've closed some contracts by contacting clients beforehand, but still, some clients don't leave reviews. They thank me multiple times and tell me via message that they are satisfied, but then they don't rate me.

I'm wondering why this happens and if there's anything I can do to encourage clients to leave reviews. Feedback is crucial to my success as a freelancer, and positive reviews can help me attract new clients and build my reputation on the platform.

If anyone has any insights or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
the-right-writer
Community Member

Most clients are not aware of the inner workings of Upwork, much less the feedback for freelancers system. Especially if they need a one job. They just want the job completed and be done with it. It takes time and is an extra step. Plus, Upwork does a lousy job of informing the client. This lack of information leaves freelancers chasing down clients and trying to get them to come back on the platform and fill out stuff. Upwork needs to improve the entire client information section. New clients often require walking through the process.

It's fine to ask a client to close the contract and leave feedback. What's not good are the freelancers who hound clients and beg/demand/threaten the client for a good review. It happens a lot more often than real freelancers would imagine.

I understand completely because I have many clients that tell me in detail how grateful they are, how much they love my work...but then they don't close the contract. Attempts to get them to follow-through are usually met with silence, because they are gone. When I have explained, and got some clients to close, they were completely unaware of the feedback. I had used the term, but it's not cool to be discussing feedback before you have the job finished.

Now, I try to mention the system before we get to the very end. I don't mention it more than once. If they don't leave feedback, I'm not going to stress over it. No feedback isn't supposed to count against your JSS. It doesn't seem to have an impact on my JSS. When I have the "answer" I will post!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Many clients really have no interest in how Upwork works beyond what immediately impacts them, the ability to find a freelancer and getting their project completed at an acceptable price. They have no idea that their feedback as clients is important to both them and freelancers - where else do they think the JSS rating for freelancers comes from? They just don't give it any thought.

I often have to close idle contracts/projects. When I do, I leave a message for the client that I enjoyed working for them and will leave excellent feedback for them - regardless whether either or both of those things is true. Some take the hint, others don't. But there's not much else I've thought of to encourage feedback once a project is complete and been idle for a month or more.

spectralua
Community Member

Im always asking client to close contract after job done. Feedback is a must with this action.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

I always ask clients to close idle contracts, which would include leaving feedback.

About 1 or 2 in 10 actually do it. I close the rest myself after waiting another month to after I ask them to do so.

the-right-writer
Community Member

Most clients are not aware of the inner workings of Upwork, much less the feedback for freelancers system. Especially if they need a one job. They just want the job completed and be done with it. It takes time and is an extra step. Plus, Upwork does a lousy job of informing the client. This lack of information leaves freelancers chasing down clients and trying to get them to come back on the platform and fill out stuff. Upwork needs to improve the entire client information section. New clients often require walking through the process.

It's fine to ask a client to close the contract and leave feedback. What's not good are the freelancers who hound clients and beg/demand/threaten the client for a good review. It happens a lot more often than real freelancers would imagine.

I understand completely because I have many clients that tell me in detail how grateful they are, how much they love my work...but then they don't close the contract. Attempts to get them to follow-through are usually met with silence, because they are gone. When I have explained, and got some clients to close, they were completely unaware of the feedback. I had used the term, but it's not cool to be discussing feedback before you have the job finished.

Now, I try to mention the system before we get to the very end. I don't mention it more than once. If they don't leave feedback, I'm not going to stress over it. No feedback isn't supposed to count against your JSS. It doesn't seem to have an impact on my JSS. When I have the "answer" I will post!

12d4c50f
Community Member

I agree with you

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members