xinrang111

Why don't common clients like Chinese developers?

Hello

I want to know why common clients don't like the Chinese developers.

Cos I am Chinese developer, but my skill is excellent.

Thanks.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Lee X wrote:

I thought common clients like Europe developers than Chinese one.

If they did, you'd want to avoid them. Good clients only care about results. It doesn't matter where you're from, as long as you bring an added value to the table.

“Go then, there are other worlds than these.”
―Stephen King, The Gunslinger

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous User
Not applicable
This widget could not be displayed.

@Lee X wrote:

Hello

I want to know why common clients don't like the Chinese developers.

Cos I am Chinese developer, but my skill is excellent.

Thanks.

Who are "common clients"?

I'm not sure clients like to be referred to as commoners, either.

Common Clients mean most of them.

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Lee,

Please note that freelancers from all corners of the globe are being hired on a daily basis on Upwork, including freelancers from China. If you're not getting responses to your proposals, please consider revising your proposal strategy and updating your profile. In addition to having excellent skills, a freelancer needs to market their skills through their profile, proposals and in direct communication with clients and manage their experience.

Untitled

Lee:

I have participated extensively in the Community Forum, read what both clients and freelancers have had to say on hundreds of topics, hired over 80 freelancers and completed over 100 jobs myself. I think I have a lot of experience here and know a lot about trends and preferences...

I'm not aware of any preference among typical (or "common") clients to avoid Chinese freelancers. I've never heard of this.

And I'm not being politically correct or Pollyanish. I could name a few countries that a number of clients prefer to avoid hiring from. China just isn't on that list from what I have seen.

Although I think it is rare, I HAVE heard of Chinese freelancers who have tried to mask their identities and pose as Europeans. (If you search the Community Forum carefully enough, you might find references to this.)

But this is completely unnecessary.

From my own personal experience, some of the best freelancers I have hired live in China.

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

Really?

Anyway, thanks .

@Lee X wrote:

If they did, you'd want to avoid them. Good clients only care about results. It doesn't matter where you're from, as long as you bring an added value to the table.

wow..

Thanks for your reply.

I will do as you said.

Thanks.

I was just asked from a chinese to create and account with my name where he would use it and make profit.

He proposed me 2,000usd monthly. 

Hi Daniel,

One of our agents will contact you directly where you provide us with more details about this. Our team will investigate it further and proper actions will be taken.

~ Goran
Upwork

It seems like about %80 of the developers that apply for jobs (well my jobs at least) are imposters. They say they are from the US or Europe but really from China. It is getting pretty easy to spot them (their profiles all seem to look the same). They will have a few small jobs and never agree to a video call. That being said, I have hired a few developers from China and loved their work. The only thing to be weary about is the whole copyright issue, it's near impossible to enforce an NDA with them.

Hello

Thanks for your reply.

I will try it again as you said.

But one question.

Why my upwork account job success is high very slowly?

I want to know about that.

Really, my job success is increasing very very slowly.

I think it is the problem why I don't get the Client.

Thanks

@Lee X wrote:

Your success score is higher than 90%. That's not the problem. I think you should concentrate on writing great proposals and - once hired - delivering high-quality work. You'll notice all the benefits over time.

Lee, I see one problem with your work history. You did a lot of jobs for $5. I know you did this so you would have some jobs and a Job Success Score, but many clients will now expect you to work for $5. You've only earned $300 total and you need at least $1000 to be Top Rated. So this might be difficult but you should really think about not doing work for $5. At least get $10 for a job, then after a few for $10, increase it little by little. I myself will not work for less than $20, and there are plenty of $20+ jobs.

@Lee X wrote:

Hello

Thanks for your reply.

I will try it again as you said.

But one question.

Why my upwork account job success is high very slowly?

I want to know about that.

Thanks

so ya just wanted to throw the race card out just cuz you know that's a great way to start out huh?