🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Why i am asked to fill GSTIN & W8-BEN form be...
Page options
90d86a77
Community Member

Why i am asked to fill GSTIN & W8-BEN form being a freelancer i do not possess any of these.

I am a freelancer at upwork. I just added my payment method in "get paid"section. After saving all details the page got redirected to a new page that says "You need to fill deatils of form W8-BEN". I don't understand why as a freelancer am i asked to fill my GSTIN number & tax return information.

Also below that there is a column asking for "Legal name of business" what am i supposed to write here?

Please guide me as i am very new to Upwork & still learning how to get my hands on it.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Sagrika,

The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. Feel free to add your full legal name and submit the form. 
If you do not currently have a GST number, you may wish to consult with a trusted tax expert or advisor. Upwork cannot provide tax advice. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Sagrika,

The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. Feel free to add your full legal name and submit the form. 
If you do not currently have a GST number, you may wish to consult with a trusted tax expert or advisor. Upwork cannot provide tax advice. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thanks Goran! You've been of great help. 

e58c8405
Community Member

Hi Sagrika,

Just saw this thread, in case if you have more doubts on GST complaince for Indian freelancers working on upwork, you can refer to my post here. I have tried to explain in detail the complete GST compliance requirements for Indian Freelancers. 

Hope this will help you, Thanks!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths