Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why i am not getting any new offer from clients

Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
11 of 34

@Aleksandra K wrote:

I respect the loose attitude you have towards these “rules” but what happens if it cost you your account?

Not speaking for Jennifer, but I essentially have the same perspective as her.  The rules of Upwork are arbitrary and, in many cases, provably counterproductive.  As a professional, I will not bother to game the stats to the satisfaction of the site.  If that costs me jobs or my account, that is a loss for Upwork, not for me.  So long as legitimate clients are looking for quality work, I'm fine.  It's on Upwork to decide if they want to be the facilitator of that kind of business, or if they want to continue to ride their misguided efforts down the drain.

Community Guru
Aleksandra K Member Since: Mar 31, 2015
12 of 34

Darin,

I disagree with many of the rules that UpWork has and I don’t appreciate the pressure they put on freelancers. However, what would happen if there are no rules? In the “real world” would you tell your boss – Who cares about what you want, I’ll do what I want?

“ If that costs me jobs or my account, that is a loss for Upwork, not for me.  So long as legitimate clients are looking for quality work, I'm fine. “

UpWork doesn’t care about you, or me. There are many freelancers, some will come, and others will go! None of us is irreplaceable regardless how good we are. There is always going to be somebody who is a better writer than me or a better technology consultant than you. Who do you think would lose more if I or you leave this platform?

Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
13 of 34

@Aleksandra K wrote:

I disagree with many of the rules that UpWork has and I don’t appreciate the pressure they put on freelancers. However, what would happen if there are no rules?

I don't think anyone is call for no rules.  There is a difference between anarchy and a Catch-22 world of insane regulations.  Yet that appears to be where Upwork is heading.  I'm still waiting to find out a good way close out old jobs that have gone idle, because every message Upwork is sending is that anything I do or don't do regarding these jobs makes them unsuccessful in the eyes of Upwork.  Crazy rules help no one.

In the “real world” would you tell your boss – Who cares about what you want, I’ll do what I want?

Yes.  I have quit every job I have ever held.  I am hired for my expertise and I consistently deliver results that are in the client's best interest.  If it turns out they don't actually want to follow my sage advice (for whatever reason), I am quite willing to go off and do what I want elsewhere.  Perhaps with their competitor.  Smiley Surprised

UpWork doesn’t care about you, or me.

And look what has become of their site as a result.

None of us is irreplaceable regardless how good we are.

Start working your way up the management chain to discover where that mentality stops.

Who do you think would lose more if I or you leave this platform?

A canary's cage offers protection and food.  Who loses more if it escapes and flies out of the coal mine?

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
14 of 34

@Aleksandra K wrote:

Jennifer,

I respect the loose attitude you have towards these “rules” but what happens if it cost you your account?

Not sure I understand. I'm not saying "haha rules screw them." I'm saying use the system when you need it. Not saying break rules. I'm saying that you should identify when a customer is being unreasonable and use the system when you need it. The dispute process is there for a reason. 

As for my loose attitude, the two disputes I won were worth about $2200. I'd much rather that cash than stars. I've refunded a whopping $80 out of $50k income.  I underbid and the customer was going to take days of my time. It's reasonable to flip that kill switch when it's necessary.

You can't make 100% of people happy 100% of the time, and you know if you've done a lousy job and should just refund or you did the work and should get paid. I'm just saying that you should make business decisions based on what is right. Doesnt' mean you'll always win, but you can't tip toe all the time around a random algorithm at the expense of paying bills.

Community Guru
Aleksandra K Member Since: Mar 31, 2015
15 of 34

Jennifer,

“Not sure I understand. I'm not saying "haha rules screw them."

Then I must have misunderstood some of your posts. The impression I got was that you were saying exactly that. My bad.

Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
16 of 34

Md H, parts of your profile are plagiarized, and there are several breaks in style and tone. This raises an instant red flag to clients. Rewrite your profile in your own words and tone, and do not copy from others. 

Your profile and posts have several spelling, grammar and punctuation errors. Try to fix those errors and proofread your applications. A sentence is ended with a period after the last letter of the sentence. No additional spacing (like this .) required. Little things like that can make a big difference, and they're very easy to fix.

Md H Member Since: Jul 5, 2015
17 of 34

Is it perfect my profile now ? Krisztina U

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
18 of 34

You're available 18 hours a day? Makes you look desperate.

Something I find when customers come to me and had a bad experience with a previous freelancer is that freelancers give unrealistic expectations and then the customer feels burned. I give myself a week deadline for something that I know will take me 3-4 hours. Set your customer expections, come in early on delivery, and you'll make them much happier than promising them things that just ain't gonna happen.

Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
19 of 34

But now you've got rid of some of the plagiarised bits the grammar and punctuation has suffered. Do you know anyone who is an expert (A proper one) in English who can help you rewrite it?

Md H Member Since: Jul 5, 2015
20 of 34

No Ramon B . Can you help me to rewright it ?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS