Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is a Job Like This Allowed to be Posted

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
1 of 4

So, I'm going through the jobs this morning and I find one that wants...

...an excellent writer

...pay is 40 cents for 100 words and that must include the Odesk fee.

Does Odesk not realize that this type of posting makes them look as if they are not a professional job site??

And I've seen jobs that pay worse than this one. Very sad. Odesk seems to be becoming the place where you get the cheapest of the cheap and good freelancers need not bother.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
2 of 4

On the other hand who is going to apply? Those who can't land a better job because the only thing they have is their low price, right?

No "excellent" writer will apply to this job. Excellent writers have better things to do. So let it be. I personally find it funny. I would sooo much love the see what kind of writings they get :-)

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 4

Jean asks the question: Why is a job like that allowed on oDesk?

Jean is correct in her belief that this is a lame job posting. Rene points out that a client is unlikely to obtain quality work for such a rate.

But the job posting doesn't violate any oDesk policies, and I think that's the simple answer to why it is allowed.

I disagree that the presence of this particular job posting and others like it makes oDesk overall seem like it is not a professional job site. This is one listing among many, many listings. Ultimately, being a general writer might not be the most profitable career on oDesk, but it exists alongside plenty of jobs for which contractors earn thousands of dollars for a single project or are paid $30, $40, $50 and more per hour.

Would I personally prefer that this particular job posting NOT be on oDesk? Yes. But I would also prefer that oDesk NOT be overly aggressive in rejecting job postings. Because that takes the power away from ME, the contractor.

I LIKE the fact that there are a variety of job postings on oDesk and that we, the contractors, have the opportunity to CHOOSE. Let's hang on to that power and use it wisely, rather than ask oDesk to make all the decisions for us.

This means that we need to NOT pester oDesk to remove job postings that violate our own sense of what is an appropriate job, but instead we need to just ignore those jobs. Here is the plus side: Some of your competitors are going to be doing those jobs rather than going after the jobs that YOU want.

I'm not personally interested working for pennies or in writing vampire erotica or (even more offensive to me personally) creating websites using WordPress. But I can ignore those jobs rather than flagging them as inappropriate or offensive or complaining that oDesk allows such jobs on the website.

So unless a job posting very clearly violates a very explicitly stated oDesk policy, I think that we, as contractors, will be better off NOT complaining to oDesk about the jobs, but policing the jobs ourselves by not applying to do them. The more restrictive policies that oDesk puts in place, the more oDesk takes the power away from us to choose what type of work to do. For example, one forum poster marked a job posting as inappropriate because it specified that the hired contractor would need to work on location in a specific city. What's wrong with that? It's not hurting me if a client can post a job like that. I just won't bid on that job.

If high quality contractors continue to focus on doing great work for quality clients and legitimate jobs, then we will continue to attract good jobs and good clients to oDesk, even if some silly stuff is here, too.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
4 of 4

Jean, the question that comes back to you is: How do you expect oDesk to stop it? Nothing in what you write seems to be something that can automatically be used to stop the ad (either hidden from your personal view or off oDesk altogether).

Believe me, I see a ton of laughable ads from clients who think they can replicate Twitter's web site or Uber's app for $100.  I'd love for there to be a good way to stop having my time wasted on them, but still keep showing me the $100 ads that actually represent $100 of work.

But scoping out the work required isn't something I think oDesk can reasonably do for every job.  And there are freelancers who apply to those ads, so there's the related decision on what that means!  If you believe there is a specific action they should take, please state it directly.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS