cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is a degree required?

Austin T Member Since: Jun 14, 2016
1 of 13

I am going through the process of creating an account and I have run into a problem. It is requiring me to add an education and the "Degree" field is required. I do not have a degree. I have not gone to college yet. Why is this required? Why does this website only allow people who have gone to college to create an account? I don't find this fair for people who do have the skills, but have not gone to college i.e. self taught. The website freelancer.com did not require any kind of education or degree to create an account.

Also, many sources online told me that this site doesn't require a degree, yet I run into this.

Community Guru
Juvy Ann P Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
2 of 13

Austin, the degree field can be left blank.  The field of study is significant though.

Austin T Member Since: Jun 14, 2016
3 of 13

I would've known that if the Degree field had the (optional) next to it.

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
4 of 13

Hi Austin, 

The Education section lets you add any degrees or diplomas you have earned. If you studied a subject but didn’t graduate, feel free to include that as well. 

When adding your education, you can include a brief summary of your coursework at the educational institution. Feel free to add any clubs, groups, or societies that were part of your experience and include any awards you received, your grade point average, and/or class ranking (i.e., Magna Cum Laude).

-Avery
Untitled
Heidi K Member Since: Oct 22, 2016
5 of 13

Hi, I have the same problrm. I tried to add my diploma but it only wants you to select a list of degrees?

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
6 of 13

Hi Heidi,

Please check the information shared above and note that you can leave the degree field blank while adding your diploma in the Areas of Study field.

Bryon S Member Since: Mar 13, 2018
7 of 13

I've had personal experience with this, and the degree field literally says it is required. You can see for yourself. But that was the case for me.

Judith H Member Since: Dec 25, 2018
8 of 13

I have a degree - I graduated in 1986 with a BFA in Illustration.  Why is it only showing current years .  Is there another way to get it to go to the years I actually graduated with my degree since it’s required on your field ?

Thanks

Judith **Edited for community guidelines**

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
9 of 13

Hi Judith,

I checked this for you and looks like you were able to fill in your education period as mentioned. If this is not what you are experiencing, please try to clear your cache and cookies or try using another browser to check if you`re still experiencing the same issues on your end. Let us know if you need further assistance with your profile creation process. Thank you.

~ Bojan
Untitled
Zsombor N Member Since: Sep 7, 2017
10 of 13

I agree. This is some psychological abberation that some certification that means nothing as to the skills someone has, would be required. It is supressive and discriminative to lock someone out because of this.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS