cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is it impossible to end a contract and NOT leave feedback for the Client?

c0nsilience
Ace Contributor

I don't understand this...

Upwork is an engaging platform and I've been utilizing it since it was oDesk.  Even though I recognize that some things are slightly skewed in favor of a client, why is it possible for client's to choose not to leave feedback, but we cannot?

To be blunt, sometimes a client really is from hell, and we'd just like to close it down and move on, focusing energy on projects that are worthwhile.  However, we have to leave feedback as freelancer's.  What's up with that and why is that not required of client's?

Thanks!

18 REPLIES 18
petra_r
Community Guru

@Benjamin H wrote:
why is it possible for client's to choose not to leave feedback?

It isn't.

Whoever closes the contract, be it client or freelancer, has to leave feedback. The other party (be it client of freelancer) can do so, but does not have to.

Ah, I see.

Thanks for the info!

Anonymous User
Not applicable
This widget could not be displayed.

@Petra R wrote:

It isn't.

Whoever closes the contract, be it client or freelancer, has to leave feedback. The other party (be it client of freelancer) can do so, but does not have to.

This is not a good feature. There are a lot of clients whose profiles show a pattern of not leaving feedback for whatever reasons. I try to avoid those clients. Even good clients sometimes have a team member who does not know how to handle the contract well. The freelancer cannot do more than ask for closing the contract. If this does not happen you can only close it yourself and leave feedback and the client does not leave a feedback then. And this will harm your JSS if you have several clients with no feedback. Upwork should install a mechanism that forces both sides to leave feedback. I would not care about this if the freelancer would not be punished with a decreasing JSS for clients that do not leave feedback.

@Margarete M wrote:

@Petra R wrote:

It isn't.

Upwork should install a mechanism that forces both sides to leave feedback.

How would you do that? Send the army to the client's offices?

Yeah, it's a tad ridiculous.

Here's a good example of when it would be nice to be able to end a contract and not leave feedback:

When a client pauses a contract for no reason whatsoever and you've sent the work over, so you're squared up and all that's really left is to end the contract.  However, you don't because you know that you won't rate this client highly and once you've left them less than favorable feedback, it will prompt/motivate them to leave you less than favorable feedback. 

Unless it's a fixed-price project, it's not like you can file a dispute on them, all the while your JSS is negatively affected because some nitwit refuses to unpause a contract.

I'm 100% certain that there are bad freelancers on Upwork.  Likewise, there are top-notch freelancers that work their tails off and still manage to have a bad client squeeze through the cracks every now and again.

Since Upwork dervies their income from fees generated by freelancers, you would think it would be in their best interest to side with the freelancer, if they are going to be biased at all.

C'est la vie!

Hi Benjamin,

Please note that the scenario you have mentioned doesn't apply to contracts on Upwork. Upwork's feedback system

is double-blind, and your client won't see your feedback until they have left theirs, or after the ability to leave feedback expires.

Untitled
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Petra R wrote:

@Margarete M wrote:

@Petra R wrote:

It isn't.

Upwork should install a mechanism that forces both sides to leave feedback.

How would you do that? Send the army to the client's offices?

Instead of sending the army to the client's office (if he has one) there are different options: either punishing the client (for example that he cannot place new job offers or that he has additional costs) or rewarding him for good behaviour with some kind of refund. As soon as the client's wallet will be affected he will be keen on leaving feedback. This would be a much better solution than punishing the freelancer with a decline of his JSS for something that is not his/her fault. Or if what I suggested is to complicated it should never affect the freelancer's JSS if the client does not leave feedback.

Just to clear up any confusion... Upwork does not have an army. Not does it command any other group of armed operatives, such as a police force or militia.

If it did possess such a resource, presumably their first order of business would be to go after the scammers. The continuing high level of scammer activity is proof enough for me that Upwork has no army.

@Margarete M wrote:
Or if what I suggested is to complicated it should never affect the freelancer's JSS if the client does not leave feedback.

The occasional one does not affect the freelancer, only if there is a pattern or an higher number of them.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Petra R wrote:

@Margarete M wrote:
Or if what I suggested is to complicated it should never affect the freelancer's JSS if the client does not leave feedback.

The occasional one does not affect the freelancer, only if there is a pattern or an higher number of them.

Yes, I know. However, there are plenty of clients who do not leave feedback and therefore freelancers can have several clients without feedback easily. If I can see from the profile already that a client seldom leaves feedback (platinum tiers as well) I abstain from applying to their job offers even if they pay well to prevent that they can harm my JSS. Even using an avoidance strategy I have some jobs without feedback but there would be much more without it.

@Khurram J wrote:

Exactly but a simple solution is that when a client press the button to approve a milstone he should receive a popup to enter a feedback or in case of hourly job he has to give a feedback at the end of every work week. this can solve so many probelms

If I were a client required to give feedback at every milestone, I would stop using the platform. Companies do not hire freelancers to decrease their efficiency and create numerous pointless little tasks for them.

Yah,Margarete,

I wish Upwork will think about your suggestion. They could make a Pop up menu. When a milestone completed by freelancer and be approved by the client then this pop up menu would show something like continue the contract or end the contract then give a feedback option automatically. Or something similar mechanism to get rid of this...

As you are saying team member (client's) doesn't know how to handle the contract well, I have faced the same issue with a client. He was fully satiesfied with the work, He was readily agreed to end the contract and give a feedback but Unfortunately he was failed to end the contract for not having enough knowledge about "End a Contract Option".Smiley Sad

Hi MD Shahadat,

@MD Shahadat H wrote:

When a milestone completed by freelancer and be approved by the client then this pop up menu would show something like continue the contract or end the contract then give a feedback option automatically. Or something similar mechanism to get rid of this...

This already exists. When a client releases a milestone, they are presented with an option to either close the contract or leave it open if there is more work to be done.

Please, find more information here.

~ Valeria
Upwork

@ valeria,

I see, After approval of milestone you guys notified the client, Pretty cool. but there is no any milestone system in Hourly Job. So, How you guys notified a client in Hourly Jobs to continue or end the contract if there are no more jobs available.

tlsanders
Community Guru

It should  be possible for both parties to end the contract without feedback and there should be no penalty or negative assumption associated with a client choosing not to leave feedback. Grownup professionals need not go around awarding one another gold stars, and the failure to leave feedback more likely than not denotes a busy professional person who has paid for the work he received, possibly responded via message to the freelancer, and rightly considers himself to have fulfilled his end of the deal.

re: "So, How you guys notified a client in Hourly Jobs to continue or end the contract if there are no more jobs available."

This is something we all have to manage ourselves.

Upwork can not do this for you.

If there is no further work for you to do on an hourly contract, you need to encourage the client to close the contract.

I ask clients to close the contract when it is clear that we have finished a project. I tell them very clearly that I am easy to find and that they can hire me again if they need new work.

I also make sure that I log any time spent on their behalf if they ask questions or request minor changes.

One thing you can do is to come up with new work.

"John, I think the next logical step would be for me to do Task X. I can go head and do that next week. But if you don't need that, or anything else at this time, then you could close the contract. That will ensure that no further time can be logged and billed to your account."

Nice words !

Thanks Preston.

I didn't do too much work in Upwork, and don't have so much experience about how Upwork works. That's why I was wondering to know about Hourly. Whatever, in this small Upwork experience I always had the good clients. But the last time I had to end a contract by myself. The clients were happy with works, positive with end the contract and provide me a feedback. But He was failed to end the contract due to not understanding "How to end the contract and provide a feedback". It was Hourly Contract.

There are so many clients who are not willing to spend time to give a feedback (as they are busy) & these type of clients not a few in number. They are enough to reduce JSS score below 90 % or more for some freelancers.

The clients, Who are positive with  providing feedback, Unfortunately, some of them also not being able to provide it. Ultimately, It is effecting in JSS score. I wish Upwork could bring out a better solution for it.

What Tiffany said. I get emails and texts nearly every single day to rate someone or something – from medical providers and customer support to birdbaths and socks. The occasional "how are we doing" survey has turned into an unwanted barrage, and I generally choose not to participate.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS