cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is it impossible to end a contract and NOT leave feedback for the Client?

This widget could not be displayed.
11 of 19
This widget could not be displayed.

@Petra R wrote:

@Margarete M wrote:
Or if what I suggested is to complicated it should never affect the freelancer's JSS if the client does not leave feedback.

The occasional one does not affect the freelancer, only if there is a pattern or an higher number of them.

Yes, I know. However, there are plenty of clients who do not leave feedback and therefore freelancers can have several clients without feedback easily. If I can see from the profile already that a client seldom leaves feedback (platinum tiers as well) I abstain from applying to their job offers even if they pay well to prevent that they can harm my JSS. Even using an avoidance strategy I have some jobs without feedback but there would be much more without it.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
12 of 19

@Khurram J wrote:

Exactly but a simple solution is that when a client press the button to approve a milstone he should receive a popup to enter a feedback or in case of hourly job he has to give a feedback at the end of every work week. this can solve so many probelms

If I were a client required to give feedback at every milestone, I would stop using the platform. Companies do not hire freelancers to decrease their efficiency and create numerous pointless little tasks for them.

odrissho
Community Guru
MD Shahadat H Member Since: Dec 7, 2015
13 of 19

Yah,Margarete,

I wish Upwork will think about your suggestion. They could make a Pop up menu. When a milestone completed by freelancer and be approved by the client then this pop up menu would show something like continue the contract or end the contract then give a feedback option automatically. Or something similar mechanism to get rid of this...

As you are saying team member (client's) doesn't know how to handle the contract well, I have faced the same issue with a client. He was fully satiesfied with the work, He was readily agreed to end the contract and give a feedback but Unfortunately he was failed to end the contract for not having enough knowledge about "End a Contract Option".Smiley Sad

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
14 of 19

Hi MD Shahadat,

@MD Shahadat H wrote:

When a milestone completed by freelancer and be approved by the client then this pop up menu would show something like continue the contract or end the contract then give a feedback option automatically. Or something similar mechanism to get rid of this...

This already exists. When a client releases a milestone, they are presented with an option to either close the contract or leave it open if there is more work to be done.

Please, find more information here.

~ Valeria
Upwork
odrissho
Community Guru
15 of 19

@ valeria,

I see, After approval of milestone you guys notified the client, Pretty cool. but there is no any milestone system in Hourly Job. So, How you guys notified a client in Hourly Jobs to continue or end the contract if there are no more jobs available.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
16 of 19

It should  be possible for both parties to end the contract without feedback and there should be no penalty or negative assumption associated with a client choosing not to leave feedback. Grownup professionals need not go around awarding one another gold stars, and the failure to leave feedback more likely than not denotes a busy professional person who has paid for the work he received, possibly responded via message to the freelancer, and rightly considers himself to have fulfilled his end of the deal.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
17 of 19

re: "So, How you guys notified a client in Hourly Jobs to continue or end the contract if there are no more jobs available."

This is something we all have to manage ourselves.

Upwork can not do this for you.

If there is no further work for you to do on an hourly contract, you need to encourage the client to close the contract.

I ask clients to close the contract when it is clear that we have finished a project. I tell them very clearly that I am easy to find and that they can hire me again if they need new work.

I also make sure that I log any time spent on their behalf if they ask questions or request minor changes.

One thing you can do is to come up with new work.

"John, I think the next logical step would be for me to do Task X. I can go head and do that next week. But if you don't need that, or anything else at this time, then you could close the contract. That will ensure that no further time can be logged and billed to your account."

odrissho
Community Guru
18 of 19

Nice words !

Thanks Preston.

I didn't do too much work in Upwork, and don't have so much experience about how Upwork works. That's why I was wondering to know about Hourly. Whatever, in this small Upwork experience I always had the good clients. But the last time I had to end a contract by myself. The clients were happy with works, positive with end the contract and provide me a feedback. But He was failed to end the contract due to not understanding "How to end the contract and provide a feedback". It was Hourly Contract.

There are so many clients who are not willing to spend time to give a feedback (as they are busy) & these type of clients not a few in number. They are enough to reduce JSS score below 90 % or more for some freelancers.

The clients, Who are positive with  providing feedback, Unfortunately, some of them also not being able to provide it. Ultimately, It is effecting in JSS score. I wish Upwork could bring out a better solution for it.

beth_price
Ace Contributor
Elizabeth P Member Since: Jul 24, 2015
19 of 19

What Tiffany said. I get emails and texts nearly every single day to rate someone or something – from medical providers and customer support to birdbaths and socks. The occasional "how are we doing" survey has turned into an unwanted barrage, and I generally choose not to participate.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS