🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Why is it said that "Hi there" is preferable ...
Page options
dff1b367
Community Member

Why is it said that "Hi there" is preferable to use than "Dear sir/ma" when writing a proposal?

When writing a proposal, I would love to know why “Hi there” is preferable to use than “Dear sir/ma” and what made it so.

What is the best solution if you do not know the client's name and there's no hint on the client's profile, or it involves a team instead of a person.

44 REPLIES 44
elizabeth_samit
Community Member

I just launch in to my actual qualifications for the job, as clients typically only read the first several words to decide whether to continue to read the proposal. (My belief is based on client posts to this forum on reviewing proposals +  proposal responses by prospective clients with questions to me or actual job offers that demonstrate a lack of having fully read my proposal). This is far different from my salutation when I formerly applied to permanent jobs, and I then typically addressed the recipient as "Dear Hiring Coordinator" or similar. The UpWork cover letter is not the same as a typical cover letter, but it does need to convey that you have the skills and experience to perform the job and by the due date specified.

Thank you, Elizabeth

elisa_b
Community Member

Over the years, I received so many spam e-mails starting with "Dear Sir/Madam" that only the thought of using it gives me shivers. As other people said, I usually start my cover letters with "Hello", or "Hello [name]" if this information is featured in the job posting.

I don't try to figure out the name or the qualification of the poster from reviews, since it's a waste of time and sometimes the accounts are shared by multiple people - so you can end up saying "Hello Josh" to a project manager called Emily. 

dff1b367
Community Member

Thank you Elisa

paywell
Community Member

I like "Dear Hiring Team," but, with a name lacking, I am heavily considering going to no introduction and straight to the chase. 

That, combined with the first two lines of your proposal being filled with eye catching keywords (describing your relevant experience/skills) could be the best way to go.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members