cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is it so difficult to get a client to close a contract

Community Leader
Igor S Member Since: Apr 8, 2015
11 of 23

Suzanne, I think we are all too much worried over closing contract, I was like that also when was JSS introduced. I had fear of client ruining my stats and keep asking clients to close and give feedback. And yes I do hate unresponsive clients also but there is not much we can do to them.

There was period in my stats when few contract was closed and no feedback was given, but guess what - nothing happended, my JSS went down 1% for 4 of these in 14 days period, so I belive that closing that one shouldn't impact you either. I belive that no feedback left has way less impact compared to bad feedback left by client.

Recently I just started to ignore this whole JSS thing and it just live its life, going up and down few percentage but generally if you do job right and you did nothing wrong it should be same for you.

Community Guru
Karin S Member Since: Dec 6, 2009
12 of 23

I emailed upwork this week when I had several contracts open which were completed. But the client forgot to close.

Upwork told that its fine to close from my end without it do anything negative for my score.

I have also a couple of time seen upwork has paused contracts I have which I need to have there when more work is coming in..I cant understand that. It is contracts I had long time and should be there...

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
13 of 23

A lot of us have the same problem that you have but in different situations. It all comes down to the irritating way that JSS is calculated.

I asked a client to close our fixed-price contract  and she said that she did, but it was still not closed. Since she was new to the platform, I closed it myself and asked her to give feedback. 

She said she did, but it didn't show up even though I had already left her feedback. I had to remind her again about the feedback the day before the 14-day feedback window closed, and finally she left some positive feedback.

She apologized for the delay and was in general a great client, but I found this experience so frustrating and it's just one of many. I also suspect that Upwork doesn't make it easy for clients to end contracts (a client can correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm just fed up with the fact that I have to keep worrying about a silly percentage on my profile - chasing up clients with contsant messages and hating myself for it - instead of concentrating on the work I have and finding new jobs!

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
14 of 23

"Why is it so difficult to get a client to close a contract"

a) because, unlike a freelancer, a client has no real incentive to do so.

b) because I believe from what I've read on here (without having seen it) that the client interface is difficult to navigate and clients may give up in if they can't manage it within a couple of clicks.

c) because I believe (genuinely and positively) that for whatever reasons, Upwork has no interest in anything that improves things for freelancers rather than clients.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
15 of 23

I just wish one of my clients would approve payment (funded and requested and requested again - $50 is not exactly going to break the bank) so that I don't have to wait 20 days. I can't close the contract until funds have been released. It is extraordinarily irritating. I am going to close out two others, whatever the consequences. Uncommunicative clients are the pits.

Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
16 of 23

I seriously think they need to rethink this whole JS thing. It is a bloomin mess, in my humble opinion. 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
17 of 23

As a client, I have felt that closing a fixed-price contract is very counter-intuitive.

The default behavior is to set up a new milestone.

There is also little incentive within the interface for clients to close a contract.

I don't think Upwork intentionally is trying to make a bad user interface. But I primarily blame Upwork for how difficult it is to get clients to close a contract.

As a contractor, I often explicitly ask clients to "close the contract", and I offer incentives for doing so.

One thing I commonly do is point out that if the work they need me to do is done, then closing the contract will guarantee that no more time will be billed to their account if they close the contract.

I tell clients that they can always find me easily and set up a new contract if the need new work to be done.

Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
18 of 23

But that is the thing. They came, they got what they needed, they left. Sending messages asking basically irritates them, and often they don't even open them or relegate any Upwork-sent messages to the  trash...Or they get online, irritated, and leave negative private feedback because...well, because they feel harassed, don't they? Or just seriously put out. It is a case of 'I paid them! What more do they want?'

Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
19 of 23

@Preston H wrote:

One thing I commonly do is point out that if the work they need me to do is done, then closing the contract will guarantee that no more time will be billed to their account if they close the contract.

I see what you did there Preston, I like it.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
20 of 23

@Stephen B wrote:

a) because, unlike a freelancer, a client has no real incentive to do so.

Freelancers have no real incentive to do so, either.  It's just the dumb JSS that is pushing us to act unprofessionally.  I'm not going to reduce my standards to support Upwork's mistakes.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS