cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is it so difficult to get a client to close a contract

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
21 of 23

Two things that really bother me is I don't like harrassing a client to close the contract and I don't like being punished with my JSS and the feelings that go along with the dread my JSS is going to drop again because a client can't be bothered to close it.

This client finally answered me back, but told me to close it. Then I don't know if I am going to get good feedback, bad feedback or mediocre as I have harrassed them to close it, or because they feel a 7 or 8 is a good enough feedback.

I read an article related the other day to Performance scores on the job. I know it is not related to a JSS but it was related on scoring employees and how it negatively affects the mindset of everyone.

That it actually caused a fight or flight response. There was a video with it. This whole article reminded me of how I feel with a JSS score. I hate it and it does not want me to perform better.

If anyone is interested in reading it or watching the video on it. You can read more at

http://www.strategy-business.com/article/00275?gko=c442b

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
22 of 23

Extremely interesting article Suzanne - thanks.

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
23 of 23

Nichola,

Thanks. It really does relate to how freelancers feel with the Upwork JSS. I believe the article applies to freelancers just as much as employees.

I read another article on even feedback postive or negative with employees can be considered criticism and cause anxiety. I have stated for a long time I left a job that did reviews and scoring and they had a high turnover. Upworks JSS was designed for businesses not freelancers, so it is quite detrimental to th mindset of the freelancer. I believe it is going to self implode. 

When I worked for the phone company they gave incentives for performing well. All it encouraged was those who wanted more money to cheat the customer. I saw them tacking things on accounts to earn more with no consideration for the customer.

The company was so geared at money that they forgot about their employees as well as their customer. Part of their training was if they are not calling to buy get them off the phone. In other words don't take care of a problem sell them something. They have pulled out of several areas they had large call centers in. Want to guess why?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS