Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my Job Success Score Decreasing?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Fariha Tarannum R Member Since: Sep 17, 2015
1 of 32

Hello,

I am writing because my job success score has been decreasing consistently even though I have been working and have been starting additional projects throughout the last 4 months. In these 4 months I have also been getting a lot of job invitations, a lot of profile views and have also been responding to almost all of them within the 24 hours. I don't understand why my success score isn't increasing but have been decreasing instead. I wasn't working for these many hours between last year's June and July and between July-September I hadn't worked at all but between June and September, my success score was more than 90% and I was rated as a Top Freelancer. I'm not really understanding this sudden significant drop of my job score. It would be nice if I could hear some of your thoughts on this.

Thank you.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 32

The very high percentage of jobs closed without feedback, along with the private feedback on the job that closed with the poor score for skills and quality will be to blame.

Ace Contributor
3 of 32

UpWork is so confusing. ODesk was better. From Upwork Customer Support, it was told to me through chat that ended contracts are fine if clients are being unresponsive. That's why I had ended all the contracts where my clients were no longer responding and giving any work. This was because a lot of the job posts wanted to hire those without any active contracts at that time and I needed to find new work fast. That's why I had cancelled those contracts and my success score was on the rise again after I took up a new project. Now this new info is very confusing. I thought the ended contracts where the clients were unresponsive were not taken into account when determining a freelancer's job score. It's so unfair that UpWork considers those contracts without feedback especially from unresponsive clients (all my contracts without feedback are from unresponsive clients). Smiley Sad

Sohaib M Member Since: May 22, 2016
4 of 32

Hi Fariha Tarannum R..!

Same thing happen with me, i closed a job of my un-responsive client with job status like Client is not responding and this action decresed my success score. Man Sad

I think we should select any other status while close such jobs.

Ace Contributor
5 of 32

Hi! Thanks for sharing your experience, Sohaib. Hopefully we can both learn how to prevent this in the future.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
BEST ANSWER
6 of 32

Fariha Tarannum R wrote:

It's so unfair that UpWork considers those contracts without feedback especially from unresponsive clients (all my contracts without feedback are from unresponsive clients). Smiley Sad

Well, it is the "Job Success Score," and the description of the score says that it's a measure of jobs completed successfully. If a client wanders off and the job isn't completed, there's no real way to classify that as a job completed successfully, is there?

It is unfortunate, though, that the chat support agent gave you bad information. That happens somewhere between frequently and always. If you have questions about how to handle a situation in the future, you'll do much better to post your question in the forum, where experienced freelancers and moderators will give you much more accurate and useful information.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 32

Yes, it IS fine to end contracts but such a very HIGH percentage of contracts that ended without feedback DOES hurt your JSS.

Plus your contracts that ended with feedback can't all be described as having ended with a "great outcome."

Ace Contributor
8 of 32

Almost all of my scores are rated 4+. Anyways, maybe clients gave a good public rating but bad private rating. Who knows...Thanks I like your reply the most but the Kudo option isn't working. Any idea why?

Ace Contributor
9 of 32

Thank you Tiffany, yes I will use this forum from now on. I had noticed this forum only a few months ago. You people are more helpful and because of this I was able to improve my profile and land more jobs on December, 2016. Very happy about finding this community forum indeed Smiley Very Happy

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
10 of 32

Hi Fariha Tarannum,

I've check the conversation you had with our Customer Support in November and do see our agent advised you regarding the negative impact a high number of closed contracts without feedback would have on your Job Success Score. I'm sorry you're frustrated with your score, please refer to the information and resources for increasing the Job Success Score our agent shared on the mentioned ticket.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS