cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my profile locked private? I am currently working and have a current contract!

farrahmandeeli
Ace Contributor
Farrah M Member Since: Sep 14, 2015
1 of 22

I am waiting approval from my client for a fixed contract, and I have a current client and I'm working for him! I've been active in Upwork for almost 2 years! And my Upwork profile is locked private. Anyone can please, fix this issue.  

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
2 of 22

Your profile gets locked private automatically if you haven't earned money in the past thirty days. You can contact customer support if you want to have it re-set to public.

fbsaurav
Saurav J Member Since: Oct 5, 2017
3 of 22

Any one have direct no to call support ?

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 22

Hi Saurav,

Due to the volume of users phone support isn't available to all at all times. However, on your Find Work page you'll see the direct link to contact support to set your profile to public. Just hover your mouse over the visibility setting on the right side.

~ Valeria
Upwork
emilyem
Emily O Member Since: Jan 3, 2018
5 of 22

How do I contact support

nkocendova
Community Guru
Nina K Member Since: Nov 29, 2017
6 of 22

Hi Emily,

If you describe your problem we can try to assist you here.

~Nina
davecroyle
Dave C Member Since: Apr 6, 2017
7 of 22

I'm in the same situation.  I currently have hours on an active job logged in my timesheet.  In fact, I was working on the project when I got my "You're Account is Locked Private" email.  The logged hours inherently implies current earnings and activity.  This is the third time this has happened to me, and once again I have to contact customer service and wait to get the lock removed.  

Why does this happen on an active account with open and active projects?

Why, when it can take up to 17 days to be paid for work, would 30 days be a reasonable window for this policy?

Why do I need to contact customer service to fix this?  Isn't there a simpler/faster solution that wouldn't require me bugging a CS rep or paying an additional $10 per month?

And what is the purpose of this policy?  Doesn't it make more sense to simply lock out an account if you don't log in for 30 days?  The transaction history seems like an inappropriate place to evaluate account activity.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
8 of 22

Hi Dave,

This change is both a reward for freelancers who regularly earn on the platform, and a trust and safety measure to prevent off-platform work. That's why it's based on earnings and not on login activity. 

Your profile visibility has already been reset.

~ Valeria
Upwork
yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
9 of 22

Valeria, I think Dave makes a valid point. Why suspend a freelancer who has some dollar amount In Review? Granted, the client might dispute some or all of it, but seems unfair to suspend a freelancer because a client doesn't approve a milestone immediately or because there's a mandatory 5 day review for hourly contracts.

Dave C Member Since: Apr 6, 2017
10 of 22

Hi Valeria,

Nice to meet you.  I greatly appreciate the quick attention to this.  However, I'm failing to see how this is a reward for freelancers like me.  I work in advertising and I do alot of commercials and video projects on the platform.  Many of these projects have longer lead times lasting 2, 3, or 4 months, with milestones loaded on the back end.  That means I could conceivably need to have my account unlocked once or twice in the middle of an active project.  This is quickly becoming more of a nuisance for me than a reward.

Is there any way that a freelancer in good standing like myself could formally request that the 30-day window be extended to 45 or 60 days, for example?  Or, if the transaction history needs to be the focus, why aren't Work in Progress or Under Review earnings factored in?  I'm not trying to stir the pot here, but I wasn't sure who/where else to ask about this issue.

Thanks,
Dave

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS