🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Why is "escrow protection" proving useless?
Page options
2b0b7b12
Community Member

Why is "escrow protection" proving useless?

Edit: removed this messaged because just learned the hard way that both the Upwork platform and its "community" do not support their users when they need it.

"Community" responses just tell all the people, that are asking for serious help, that they should have known better.

There are so many Upwork users that got tricked, these forums are all over Reddit and Quora etc. Looks like most of them did not receive proper help even if they lost over a thousand dollars.
8 REPLIES 8
dataextract
Community Member

Arbitration is by a third party (service) provider. So you + the client and the Upwork has to pay that fee individually.

May I know the reason for refusal by the client?

A stranger was sent to collect the work from my house. I took a (perfectly legal) photo of this stranger's car as proof I gave it. The client replied that I invaded his privacy so he will not pay me.

Then in the dispute the client said
1) I did not do half the work (lie)
2) he uploaded some badly done handwritten work and said I did it (lie)

He said this after I uploaded a video of the neat and perfect work I did. No clue why Upwork did not take anything I said into consideration.

Upwork is not there to look into each client and freelancer and handle them. It would take them centuries to handle each disagreement or scam.

Fixed priced project are not that safe and as a freelancer you at the mercy of the client to release the funds.  Even after, they are able to do a chargeback and you will go negative in your balance.

Don't take fixed priced contracts, unless you are willing to risk not getting paid. Or be very picky about the client. Hourly contract are protected if you correctly use the tracker - you'll get paid even if the clients card gets declined.

Upwork has some limitations, and anything not submitted via the tracker or via the submit button is not "proof". I would never accept a job where you need to create physical things. This isn't Etsy, it's an online platform which doesn't have any protection for those things.

I understand that the situation ended disappointingly. I suggest you look more into how the platform works, so you don't make the same mistake.

All you can do now is report the client, leave a bad review, and hopefully they will get banned in the future. The client won't release the funds, the arbitration is not worth it and you'd loose anyway since you cannot show the result of your job. 

Learn how to "protect yourself" on Fixed-Price contracts.

Don't rely on Upwork to protect you.

Yes, we should all protect ourselves from insidious Upwork. I guess this platform will be sued soon too

Sihinta S wrote:
Yes, we should all protect ourselves from insidious Upwork. I guess this platform will be sued soon too

This has nothing todo with Upwork. Unless you can prove that your client received something for his money. You need a signed receipt to confirm the handover and you do not have it. Don't blame the clients actions and your neglect on Upwork. 

Upwork owes you nothing at the moment, the client does. Where did the material for the cards come from? Did he provide it or did you pay for it?

Thank you for your detailed response.
I agree with your suggestion!

Sihinta S wrote:
A stranger was sent to collect the work from my house. I took a (perfectly legal) photo of this stranger's car as proof I gave it. The client replied that I invaded his privacy so he will not pay me.

Then in the dispute the client said
1) I did not do half the work (lie)
2) he uploaded some badly done handwritten work and said I did it (lie)

He said this after I uploaded a video of the neat and perfect work I did. No clue why Upwork did not take anything I said into consideration.

It really would be better not to have any actual contact with a client or with a client's sidekick unless you have complete confidence in his integrity or if you have  been working with the client for some time and are comfortable with him sending  a stranger to your house. 

That said, if the client is disputing, then you can call his bluff and take it further to arbitration, which will cost you, but you might win in the end, or the client might refuse to pay his share of the arbitration, It's a bit Hobson's Choice.  

If you can prove your client lied then arbitration is the best way to go. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members