mind01

Why is the automatic time tracker so iffy, and what to do about it?

After a few one time gigs and milestone work, I've recently landed my first long-term contract. Everything seems to be going fine and is straightforward enough, but I do take issue with the way the time tracker sometimes logs time.

Here's a concrete, baffling example - yesterday i did 3 hours worth of work for the client in one go. I started up the time tracker and worke until 3:01 on the counter. The "hours worked today" one claimed that i did 3:20. HOW? I get that once you pass a certaimm threshold the increment changes by another 10 minutes so as to not stint you for 5-8 minutes of honest work, but 20?

Another thing happened 2 days ago. I started up the tracker and got onto the website where I'm supposed to do the work, but the website was down. After trying to reload a few times I gave up and turned off the tracker. It had logged 2 minutes and rounded that up to 10. Now when I go to the work diay there's a conspicuous window where it shows I was active only 2/10 minutes. I'm sure that the client will understand, especially since it was their site that was to blame, but if things like this continue I might end up racking up 10 minute increments whre I'm not doing the amount of work shown, but the client is obliged to pay for it.

Maybe I'm reiterating things people have said dozens of times, idk. Any advice or reassurance would be appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Matija,

The Team App is working as expected, because it's designed to track billable time in 10-minute segments. This is the fairest way possible for both clients and freelancers to account for the time spent each hour.

Please check this video and the following Community discussions to learn how Upwork Team App measures activity and tracks time: here, here, here and here.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Untitled
mrdanielprice

Matija, it's very noble that you're concerned about your client being billed for hours you didn't work, but I think you're overthinking it.

If I were you, I'd just go off what the trackers says I worked and bill them for that. What they know won't hurt them, assuming it's only the odd few minutes here and there, especially if it's a large project where the clients is paying tens or hundred of x currency.

@Daniel P wrote:

Matija, it's very noble that you're concerned about your client being billed for hours you didn't work, but I think you're overthinking it.

If I were you, I'd just go off what the trackers says I worked and bill them for that. What they know won't hurt them, assuming it's only the odd few minutes here and there, especially if it's a large project where the clients is paying tens or hundred of x currency.

I totally disagree! Any minute billed in excess should be deleted. I've been working with a client since August 2014 - if I were to follow your advice my client would be charged an average of 40/50 minutes per week!!!