🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Why is there nothing similar to Upwork Enterp...
Page options
alexandernovikov
Community Member

Why is there nothing similar to Upwork Enterprise but for contractors?

That's basically it. Why not?

9 REPLIES 9
petra_r
Community Member

Alexander N wrote:

That's basically it. Why not?

Huh? What do you even mean? You want to pay Upwork huge amounts of money every month for what, exactly?

Preferrential access to top clients, relief from some of the most inconvenient policy rules such as not being able to do conversations outside of Upwork before the contract (which may make sense for beginners or people who one can suspect with being likely to break rules, but which make no sense for large and established players - like agencies making $1M+ per month in revenue, and there are such ones in existence), API to access data on market conditions to run ML tools on contractor's side to optimize their marketing (which is a benefit to everyone, as it results in less spam: the project bids that are unlikely to work, have less chance of being made if data-driven approach is taken by large contractors).

There are many other things to think about of what could be a value-added product for premium freelancers. One big thing i can think of: ability to pay agency contractors according to set rules (basically, taking agency cut automatically), automated preparation of accounting documents, assistance with opening business bank accounts (Upwork knows it's clients and is a large company so can certify to a bank KYC clerk that the business is legit, and will be trusted), etc.

My fantasy really starts running wild here, it can be even a Upwork-run startup accelerator to which established contractors have preferrential access for funding, Upwork makes a cut in form of stock when a deal is made, and the funding can then be used to hire Upwork contractors to implement the product itself, also making a cut, which is a win-win-win opportunity for everyone (investors verify that a potential startup is legit because they see his Upwork history and feedback over years; Upwork promotes itself additionally and makes money; startups have an easier time proving themselves and all "paper" issues are already solved for them, can hire staff right there). Most importantly, many good people will flock to Upwork and try to make a perfect work history with a goal to be considered as future startup founders!

Elance briefly experimented with a two-tiered marketplace. Membership fees varied by category, but I seem to recall that I paid around $250 per month for the graphic design category, and clients weren't allowed to post projects with a value of less than $300. I thought it was great - I got loads of work due to the greatly reduced competition - but there were too few freelancers who were willing to pay that much, so some projects were only getting 2-3 bids. If Upwork could find the sweet spot - maybe charge around $100/month and only allow projects with minimum $500 budgets - then I think it could be worth trying again. But I wouldn't be interested in any of the services that you mention; I'd be happy just with access to better clients with larger budgets. 

So how many thousands of Dollar plus higher fees on your contracts are you willing to pay for that every month?

And high earners already have better access to top clients.

Alexander N wrote:

Most importantly, many good people will flock to Upwork and try to make a perfect work history with a goal to be considered as future startup founders!

HEAVENS NO! The very last thing Upwork needs is ANYONE flocking to it. Upwork is literally drowning in freelancers. 

Petra R wrote:

So how many thousands of Dollar plus higher fees on your contracts are you willing to pay for that every month?

And high earners already have better access to top clients.

Like I said, it was great (for me) while it lasted. I was getting about half the projects that I applied to, and clients got higher-quality bids. Participation was entirely optional, so any freelancer who was content with the normal marketplace didn't have to pay any extra. Don't knock it till you try it.

The very last thing Upwork needs is ANYONE flocking to it. Upwork is literally drowning in freelancers. 

If that's the case, why do they keep accepting more all the time? And if they're handing out free connects now, it sounds like they want us to bid more often, not less.

That's the trick: Upwork is drowning in freelancers, but those it is drowning in are not genuine competition, they are merely spam.

Any premium freelancer product will not increase amounts of spam; and there is a lot more work to do than (real) workers able to do it so competition isn't a problem here.

Let's answer the twice ignored question of "So how many thousands of Dollar plus higher fees on your contracts are you willing to pay for that every month?"

Do you have any idea what Enterprise clients pay Upwork for their priviledges? 

Petra R wrote:

Let's answer the twice ignored question of "So how many thousands of Dollar plus higher fees on your contracts are you willing to pay for that every month?"

Do you have any idea what Enterprise clients pay Upwork for their priviledges? 

Like I already said in my initial post, $100/month would be fine with me, or even $50 if you think that's too expensive. Or, a lot of freelancers have said that they'd be willing to pay more for connects, so that could be an option instead. Let the low-budget projects stay in one marketplace where connects cost 15 cents each - or less, even - then have a more professional marketplace that would cost more to access. It would limit the number of spam bids that clients receive, which was supposedly one of Upwork's aims.

And yes, I'm well aware of the price tiers for clients, which only prove that people are willing to pay more if they can get better service.

My idea is that it was about $5K per month for Enterprise. Logically because Premium is $50 and now-extinct Business was $500. Wrong?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members