🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Why jobs are allowed to have irrelevent skill...
Page options
miraagexoxo
Community Member

Why jobs are allowed to have irrelevent skill tags?

Hello,

I'm trying to find a project/job. I only look for ReactJS jobs. What happens is clients look for, let's say, Angular/PHP/Ruby developers, but they put "react.js" tag to their job so it appears in my search results. In the end, I'm getting roughly 9 irrelevant jobs of 10 shown per page.

Some jobs could have multiple libraries/frameworks, e.g. when it is a fresh start, it's alright. But what I usually see is an ongoing project written in Angular/Vue/PHP/whatever, yet it has a ReactJS tag.

In my opinion it is extremely unprofessional and simply abusing the system. It would take ages to report such jobs manually.

I'm not sure if there is an option to exclude certain results. But even if so, there are so many different tools to exclude.

What would you suggest me in such situation? How is it possible to make search results being more relevant?

Cheers,

Mikhail Osher

10 REPLIES 10
nataliasavitcaia
Community Member

Have you tried “arrange by relevance “ button?

It helps in some way, thanks 🙂

florydev
Community Member

How would you disallow it?

You can do negative searches if you want.

C# - 132 jobs

C# ASP.NET - 36 jobs

C# -ASP.NET - 96 jobs

Pretty standard searching behavior.  I think it is potentially a huge mistake.  What if you have a client that put PHP in by mistake, they just were click happy?  Or what if they just don't know?

Thanks for an advanced tips!

lucidwebmarketng
Community Member

There's not much you can do about buyers' ignorance. They'll put tags for everything under the sun they think applies. I wouldn't call it unprofessional but ignorance. I see it in my field (pay-per-click) too; they equate and interchange Adwords with Adsense and sometimes it's not clear which they really are talking about.

It's a pain to do a search where half the jobs are irrelevant but that's the cost of doing business. Don't report them (I'm not sure what you would report), it's just a waste of your time and I'm sure you have better things to do.

I didn't know the search feature had negatives. But as pointed out, this may be a mistake. It's up to you to decide if it would be worth it or not.

Oh, I have not reported anyone (but I had such intentions) and not sure if I would do it. 

I guess I should change my perception model to "platform hazard" rather than "smth related to clients"

I can see myself posting a job for something IT related in which I have zero knowledge, or online marketing. Do you guys expect me to take classes before I post a job? I'm asking because if I post such a job, it's because I know squat abut the subject and I want you guys to help me.

In the cases you described, I would probably use wrong tags and some wording of my job posting would be hilarious to any expert in the field.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

My issue is about ongoing projects which have certain technologies which are irrelevant about search results. Or the title says "featured job: angular developer" and description strongly requires "angular developer", but it has "react.js" tag.

If you post a new job - it is absolutely fine to put as many tags as you wish, if you ask me.

I almost always prefer clients that don’t know what they are looking for. I want them to tell me about their business, I don’t want them telling me mine.

However, I don’t know if this is a problem across all freelancer categories, but there are clients who are looking for a certain alphabet soup of skills and are quite adamant about it with clearly not much idea what they are doing. It is quite common for people to ask for more years of experience than the technology has existed. If you are new and haven’t dealt with clients much you take everything they write as hard and fast. Kind of like people getting irate at $5 jobs when it mostly a signal that the client has no idea what this should cost.
tlsanders
Community Member

They probably don't even know they're doing it. The first couple of jobs I posted, I didn't even notice that Upwork was assigning relatively random tags to the job and inadvertantly accepted them. Even after I identified and attempted to delete them, I've noticed that they sometimes seem to spring back to life after I've removed them.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths