🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Why my Sberbank account is blocked?
Page options
samkudr
Community Member

Why my Sberbank account is blocked?

I have been receiving money to my Sberbank account for years up until this week. In April I even was able to add a different Sberbank account without any problems. Now it stops working.

Here are three transaction categories that are prohibited:
1) Blocking sanctions against individuals and entities designated pursuant to E.O. 13660, E.O. 13661, E.O. 13662, or E.O. 13685 and listed on the List of Specially Designated Nationals and Blocked Persons (SDN List);
2) Sectoral sanctions against entities operating in sectors of the Russian economy identified by the Secretary of the Treasury pursuant to E.O. 13662 and listed on the Sectoral Sanctions Identification List (SSI List);
3) A new investment ban and prohibition on the exportation or importation of goods, technology, or services to or from the Crimea region of Ukraine.

Sources:

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Pages/ukraine.aspx https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Documents/ukraine.pdf

Sberbank is in the SDN list.

But I don't fit any of these categories. Can anybody explain why I can't use Sberbank account? I'm the receiver of the money, I'm the owner of them, it's not Sberbank to whom Upwork sends money—it's me, Sberbank is just a medium.

I have almost the same experience with iTunesConnect. They blocked the Sberbank account but shortly after removed the restriction, it was in 2015.

Support didn't help much in understanding the issue from the legal point of view. Can anybody help in understanding? Why I'm able to use Sberbank account in iTunesConnect?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
abinadab-agbo
Community Member

Kudriavtsev wrote:

Support didn't help much in understanding the issue from the legal point of view. Can anybody help in understanding? Why I'm able to use Sberbank account in iTunesConnect?

Thanks!

Hi!

Can you please confirm if your question is directed at Upwork, Itunes Connect, or the United States department of Treasury?

The title of your post seems to indicate that your question should be directed at those who blocked (or caused to be blocked) your Sberbank account.

In this instance, the Upwork Community, and Upwork Support, are the wrong places to ask the question.

Cheers 😉

Here is Upwork who refuses us to use Sberbank account. I saw that somebody wasn't able to add Sberbank this and previous year while I was using it without problems. So it's Upwork.

I'm sure that Upwork has layers who tell that Sberbank should be blocked. I asked Upwork support but all that they know is that it's blocked and I should use a different bank.

I thought I ask here hoping somebody knows the essence of this legal issue.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kudriavtsev,

I'm sorry to hear you weren't able to add your bank account. Please, check out the U.S Department of Treasury website for more information. You are welcome to add a different bank to your profile. If the bank is not listed as restricted by U.S OFAC restrictions it should not have any problems on our site.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths