cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why my all new contracts are "Money back guaranteed"?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Laiq K Member Since: Apr 25, 2011
1 of 5

Since the Money back guaranty program is started, almost my all of the contracts are Money back guaranteed. Even if I applied myself to a job, I received an offer from client and when I accepted the offer, suddenly I came to know that my contract is "Money back guaranteed". 

I suggest freelancer may be notified before accepting the offer that this contract will be Money back guaranteed. Some time it makes me alarming. Though I will receive the money but it may be damage my 5 star feedback.

“Sorry for bad English”

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
2 of 5

As a freelancer, I am not a fan of the oDesk "Money-back Guarantee" program. Over the last year, finding the best jobs and the best clients here on oDesk has become more challenging than in past years. Thus, for me accepting jobs from oDesk clients that do not meet my own criteria has become the norm (changes are in progress as of this writing).

Despite the warning signs (previous jobs history), one of those clients I had accepted a job from threatened via private email to contact oDesk with a dispute in order to get their money back. The threats from the client were prompted when I requested of the client that we re-negotiate the oDesk contract because that client kept asking for work outside the originally agreed to scope of work (aka "scope creep").

Although the client elected not to pursue any complaints via oDesk, that unwarranted situation did make me reconsider the benefits (or lack thereof) for freelancers regarding the oDesk "Money-back Guarantee" program. Long ago I had an email address whereby freelancers could send a request to opt-out of the oDesk "Money-back Guarantee" program.

During my more recent contact with oDesk support, I was told that freelancers could no longer opt-out. Worse yet is that freelancers cannot determine in advance: 1) if they are part of the oDesk "Money-back Guarantee" program [oDesk Support reps used to verify this; however, they are now told not too] and 2) whether a particular job would or would not include the oDesk Money-back Guarantee.

Any input from oDesk Community moderators / managers is more than welcome.

Edited 01/08/2015 RT/lwm

Ron aka LanWanMan
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
3 of 5

Ronald, thank you for the response. I am surprised to see that some of my MBG contracts are "When needed" type contracts, and clients ask me to do different small tasks at different times. So I do not know which task is MBG or all the tasks are MBG?

When oDesk is not suggesting me to the client and i am aplying myself to a job, then why my contracts are MBG? Anyone can please suggest that is it safe to continue work on these type of contracts and these contracts will not be alarming for my feedback?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
4 of 5

To the "best of my knowledge and believe":

"All the tasks are 'MBG'...."

When [if] designated per contract, the oDesk "Money-back Guarantee Program" applies to each individual oDesk contract regardless of how many separate tasks or groups of tasks are done under each of those individual contracts (That is, an individual "contract" as denoted by an oDesk Contract ID number -- NOT to be confused with any job posting number).

The oDesk system (aka "mad robots"; see other posts about the oDesk "mad robots") automatically determines and appoints qualified oDesk freelancers to the "Money-back Guarantee Program."

In addition, the oDesk system automatically determines whether or not the "Money-back Guarantee Program" will apply to jobs (on a job-by-job basis) for which the freelancer has applied (That is, for qualified freelancers that have been appointed to the "Money-back Guarantee Program").

Clients see in their list of applicants for a given job whether or not the "Money-back Guarantee" will apply for any given applicant. Freelancers will not know whether or not the "Money-back Guarantee" will apply for a job until they receive an offer of hire, which describes the client offer in detail.

In theory, it is safe for freelancers to work on oDesk contracts whereby the oDesk "Money-back Guarantee Program" applies. However, there have been instances where clients have tried to abuse the program by making false claims, which could have a negative effect on freelancers' reputations.

Choose the best jobs and the best clients that are a good match for you as a freelancer. Take note of the established and documented conditions that exist regarding the oDesk "Money-Back Guarantee Program"; and, as a freelancer, use those conditions to your advantage as-needed (Read carefully).

Relevant oDesk Knowledge Base Articles:

Client Money-Back Guarantee Beta Program https://support.odesk.com/entries/23136057-Client-Money-Back-Guarantee-Beta-Program

How does the Money-Back Guarantee Beta Program affect freelancers? https://support.odesk.com/entries/23153368-How-does-the-Money-Back-Guarantee-Beta-Program-affect-fre...

What is the oDesk Guarantee for freelancers? https://support.odesk.com/entries/23116462-What-is-the-oDesk-Guarantee-for-freelancers-

oDesk Community Moderators / Managers:

1) Is the oDesk "Money-back Guarantee Program" still in beta?

2) Whether it is still in beta or not, does the oDesk "Money-back Guarantee Program" still apply only to pre-screend / pre-appointed freelancers?

3) How can a freelancer determine if they are part of the oDesk "Money-back Guarantee Program"? (I used to get screenshots from support of what clients see on freelancer profiles but no longer will they reply).

oDesk Community Moderators / Managers: Don't be shy! Tell us more about the current status of the oDesk "Money-back Guarantee Program." 

Edited 01/08/2015 RT/lwm

Ron aka LanWanMan
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
5 of 5

Ahhh, very strange coincidence Smiley Sad Since I posted this question, I am getting very fewer jobs. I think oDesk is not considering me for MBG program any more.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS