cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why my profile changed to private?

Ilyas A Member Since: Jul 24, 2017
1 of 6

I have same problem as most upwork freelancers facing of profile changed to private from public, as i am daily coming to my profile and daily biding on projects, you know there is lots of old freelancers working in upwork from last few years as compare to them i am a new user of upwork thats why i didn't awarded a project in last month, but as you know i am daily coming to my profile so whats my fault in it?

please i request to upwork team to change my profile public again please....

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
2 of 6

Hi Ilyas,

Profiles are changed to private if the freelancers haven`t earned in the last 30 days. I will ask one of our agents to change your visibility. 
Check out this Help article for more details about this. You have 3 options to change the visibility on your profile:
1. Earning funds on your account.
2. Upgrading to our Plus Membership plan
3. Contacting our Customer support to change your visibility for free.

Untitled
Ilyas A Member Since: Jul 24, 2017
3 of 6

Thanks Goran V,

Matt D Member Since: Feb 25, 2019
4 of 6

Hi Goran,

This has been a sticking point for me with Upwork lately.  I AM active on Upwork and apply to jobs all the time, yet my profile is set to private while I have open proposals out there.  Upwork needs to change their indicators to activity on the site, not based on earnings.  I even have an open job right now and my profile was still set to private.  Having this setting based on earnings makes it seem like a ploy to generate more revenue through premium memberships instead of an actual concern for business owners receiving quality prospects in search results.  I am a quality website designer yet I am now removed from search results for up to 3 days simply because I haven't been paid in 30 days.  Is there any thought of changing this policy so I don't have to constantly contact support?  

Thanks!

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
5 of 6

The criteria is designed to encourage freelancers to not only make proposals but to keep earning every month. The only consequence of having your profile marked private is that it does not appear in search.

Since the setting in no way prevents you from searching for jobs and sending proposals, I'm not sure why it matters.

I assume that Upwork wants the freelancers who earn regularly to appear in search results because these are the freelancers most likely to gain revenue for Upwork. The platform is not designed to give everyone who wants to freelance a chance to do so but to earn Upwork's owners money.  So I doubt the policy will change. 

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
6 of 6

Hi Matt, 

I'm sorry if this has been an inconvenience for you. I have set your profile visibility to public. If an established freelancer doesn't earn money on Upwork for 30 days, their profile visibility will automatically change to private. This is checked daily, not once a month. If you aren't regularly earning on our platform, your profile may be set to private, even if you submit proposals and interview frequently. There are different ways on setting your profile to public again, one of which is contacting us directly so that we can set your profile visibility to public.

You may read more about this in this help article.

-Avery
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS