cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why not keep Elance? At least for awhile longer?

Community Leader
Dan S Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
1 of 12

I still am amazed that Upwork would want to shut down Elance when Elance runs perfectly fine and there are so many problems here. Why not keep both sites going? Those that prefer Upwork can use it, those that like Elance can use it, some may want to use both sites. Upwork cannot handle the traffic it is getting now, as Elance shuts down and traffic builds on Upwork the slowdowns will only get worse. Could having both sites be such a bad idea?

Has anyone ever heard of the saying "If it ain't broke dont'fix it"?

Upwork, perhaps you should rethink the whole thing, at least till you get upwork running the way it needs to be running and include the features needed to make it run correctly.

Ace Contributor
Geoff F Member Since: Aug 20, 2015
2 of 12

Now, now Dan, isn't that just a bit more common sense than Upwork can handle.

Community Guru
Dawn L Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
3 of 12

As much as I do think you are right on many aspects, I think the primary reason for all of the site issues, bugs, etc that we are experiencing is largely due to the Upwork servers being overloaded by this merge. That said, and I could very well be wrong here since I really don't know the ins and outs in this area, I think that by keeping both sites "until Upwork is fixed" really wouldn't give them an accurate idea of just how much traffic the site can handle. They could guess, project how much they think it could handle, but I'm 100% sure that if they announced that they would keep both sites in functioning order until the problems are resolved, most of the old Elancers would go back to that platform, leaving a less populated site here that the devs would have to make an educated guess on how much this site could handle before reaching the same problems we have now (and chances are, it would be an inaccurate guess - since I would assume that they had originally thought this site could handle the additional traffic before announcing the merge, but it obviously cant). The old phrase "You wont know until you try" sort of applies here, I think.

I also think that, on top of all of the additional traffic the site is trying to compensate for, all of the new features they keep adding also isn't helping matters.

Don't get me wrong, I get incredibly frustrated with all of the glitches and bugs too... and the though of leaving this platform until the bugs are worked out has crossed my mind  time or two (and I've voiced those thoughts here on the forums lol), but deep down I do think that they will eventually get these bugs worked out, and the site will be back to normal.

Personally, I would be a-ok with the idea if they say they weren't going to release anymore new features, or remove the 5-star average thing, or anything else until they got the bugs and connectivity issues resolved. At least then the platform would be stable enough for us to continue working while they are still in the planning process of new features and ideas they want to throw at us next.

Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
4 of 12

"largely due to the Upwork servers being overloaded by this merge."

Servers are cheap. If that is the issue, and I personally doubt it, they should have added more capacity before the merge began and could do it very easily and quickly now. I suspect the problems are more basic, caused by trying to bolt too many shiny bits onto a creaking site that, fundamentally, isn't capable of being upgraded.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Community Guru
5 of 12

@fergus M wrote:

"largely due to the Upwork servers being overloaded by this merge."

Servers are cheap. If that is the issue, and I personally doubt it, they should have added more capacity before the merge began and could do it very easily and quickly now. I suspect the problems are more basic, caused by trying to bolt too many shiny bits onto a creaking site that, fundamentally, isn't capable of being upgraded.

I'll have to take your word on that lol. It was just the only somewhat reasonable explanation I could possibly come up with.

Either way, they do need to seriously get things fixed better soon, otherwise they're gonna find themselves losing clientele. I don't know how long all of these issues have been going on for you, but I know when I came back to the site 3 weeks (or so) ago, I was shocked at how poorly the site was performing. Don't get me wrong, it had a few quirks here and there that I remember in 2012/13, but no where near like this. 

Community Guru
6 of 12

"otherwise they're gonna find themselves losing clientele"

They already are.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Community Guru
7 of 12

"most of the old Elancers would go back to that platform"

You're **bleep** right we would. That's because it's a better platform.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
8 of 12

Well, they've kinda delayed it anyway. Didn't they say Sept 1st? I sent a link to my profile on here for one of my regs, and he said he knew Elance was acquired by didn't know they were moving. He just sent me another gig today. 

Community Guru
9 of 12

"Well, they've kinda delayed it anyway. Didn't they say Sept 1st?"

Did they? They must have made that announcement before the middle of August - that, or I missed it somehow lol. I thought they weren't closing up shop on Elance fully until early to mid 2016.

"You're **bleep** right we would. That's because it's a better platform."

To be honest, I'm thinking about checking out other platforms also, even just as a secondary source. My only problem is, I only know of one other platform (I won't say the name since I'm sure it's against the community guidelines lol), that seems to have a decent amount of work posted on it (in my field), but I wasn't overly impressed with the amount of money most clients there are willing to pay lol.  I'll just have to keep searching.

Community Guru
10 of 12

Don't confine yourself to platforms. I've been trying to diversify over the last couple of months, because I'm never going to make the mistake of relying on a single platform again, and there are quite a few ways to pick up work.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS