Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why only after submitting and hourly pay change

Ace Contributor
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 19, 2019
1 of 3

Three questions:

Why can you only see the name of the company after you submit a proposal?

Also, if you can see the range of rates posted, have you ever lowered or upped your rate after you submitted it...to be competive?  And does the client see that you changed your rate?  Is there an advantage to doing that....

Also, how many proposals does the average person submit before you get your first role?    I can see how my proposals are improving the more I do because I am more familar with what to look for....but I was curious does it normally take a bunch before the first one hits?

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
2 of 3

Jennifer D wrote:

Three questions:

Why can you only see the name of the company after you submit a proposal?

Also, if you can see the range of rates posted, have you ever lowered or upped your rate after you submitted it...to be competive?  And does the client see that you changed your rate?  Is there an advantage to doing that....

Also, how many proposals does the average person submit before you get your first role?    I can see how my proposals are improving the more I do because I am more familar with what to look for....but I was curious does it normally take a bunch before the first one hits?

1. Clients don't have profiles like freelancers, so the information you see in the job posting is all you can get about him.

2. I don't have a paid account, can't see other's bids, and don't care.

3. There is no normal or average on upwork. It depends on the field, your profile, what the client is looking for, and luck. If you win a first job, you are already in a very exclusive club of the top 10% of freelancers that ever made any money. 

I recommend that you do more research on what other people do that offer the same skills, fine-tune your profile, add work examples, and be aware that any unsolicited invitation you receive at this point of your upwork career is a scam. (The want you to cash fraudulent checks.)

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 3

re: "Why can you only see the name of the company after you submit a proposal?"

Previously, we COULD see the name of the company or client

But bad people abused the privilege. Bad people used the names and looked up contact information on the Internet, and then contacted clients/companies directly. Clients were annoyed by this, of course. And these people were trying to defraud Upwork by offering their services outside of the system.

The good news is you absolutely don't need to know the names of the company/client before you submit a proposal.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS