🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Why the connects are not refunded for exp...
Page options
innovioventures
Community Member

Why the connects are not refunded for expired job posts?

I understand that job posts automatically expire after 30 days if the Client doesn't hire anyone. In this case, Upwork does not refund Connects. Only if a client closes the job and they no longer wish to hire in the meantime, the used Connects are refunded. It is rare that a client voluntarily closes the job. Most of them let the job posts expire. Why should applicant Freelancers be penalized for a client's inability to finalise a contract? Upwork's policy needs immediate attention as each connect comes at a Price.

7 REPLIES 7
lysis10
Community Member

Yash C wrote:

I understand that job posts automatically expire after 30 days if the Client doesn't hire anyone. In this case, Upwork does not refund Connects. Only if a client closes the job and they no longer wish to hire in the meantime, the used Connects are refunded. It is rare that a client voluntarily closes the job. Most of them let the job posts expire. Why should applicant Freelancers be penalized for a client's inability to finalise a contract? Upwork's policy needs immediate attention as each connect comes at a Price.

Maybe they are penalizing because none of y'alls were able to sell anything and the client was all "meh" on your proposals.

florydev
Community Member

I agree with you, Upwork should not refund if the client cancels the job.
piyushseem
Community Member

I totally agree with you and can understand that how it is one of the highly inflammable point in the term of connects-discrepancy. I think it is the right time where we should point out all the other related weakness of connects system, because as we all know each new thing need some time to settle where I do not think we should wait more.

m123nd
Community Member

Returning to the topic - why he connects are not refunded for expired job posts? Now need to pay for connects. And it looks strange - someone creates a job (for example requires 6 connects) 50 people respond to it. Each connect cost 0.15$. 6x0,15$ = 0,9$. Why I should pay 0,9$ for nothing? 50x0,9$ = 45$. Good business model. Upwork may hire someone to create these 'fake jobs'. Or even not Upwork, just someone for fun. It looks unfair. I can't understand it.
gparton
Community Member

My background: work full time as a vr developer in canada.

My experience with upwork as a freelancer, buy connects and apply for 7 relevant jobs

1 job closed right away awarded to someone else, probably they were already interviewing a qualified candidate and ready to hire him/her before I even applied.

Other 6 jobs expired, no interview. I understand if someone better gets the job, but I was qualified for every job I applied for and they didn’t even bother to ask interview questions do a skill test or anything. I even offered to do a free prototype on a few of the jobs. I don't know if I would call these jobs “fake” or “fraudulent” postings, but it is clear they never had any intention of hiring someone or interviewing to find a qualified candidate.

That being said I don’t think I will be purchasing any more connects, this policy of not refunding for expired jobs is complete trash. Upwork is taking your money for nothing on these air jobs.
nipurnsays
Community Member

Hi Yash,

I completely agree with you.

Though this topic is old now but it does not seems a right approach via Upwork or rational behind such terms and condition is not clear.

And moreover when we all need to buy connects then atlease connects should be returned if job is getting auto expired.

Second most important point is that earlier all jobs i remember used to take 2 connects ( as far as i remember) now some jobs take 6 connects. So it recently happened with me that i applied for a job it took 6 connects then client discussed with me the requirement i explained him the details and i kept following it with him and he never came back again and job expired. So whose fault is this ? Why i need to waste my 6 connects ( = $$ value worth amount on something not done) 

If some senior member or Upwork team member can confirm on same would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Nipurn B.

Nipurn B wrote:

Hi Yash,

I completely agree with you.

Though this topic is old now but it does not seems a right approach via Upwork or rational behind such terms and condition is not clear.

And moreover when we all need to buy connects then atlease connects should be returned if job is getting auto expired.

Second most important point is that earlier all jobs i remember used to take 2 connects ( as far as i remember) now some jobs take 6 connects. So it recently happened with me that i applied for a job it took 6 connects then client discussed with me the requirement i explained him the details and i kept following it with him and he never came back again and job expired. So whose fault is this ? Why i need to waste my 6 connects ( = $$ value worth amount on something not done) 

If some senior member or Upwork team member can confirm on same would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Nipurn B.

They did use to cost 2 but they stopped that more than a year ago.  Now they can cost up to 6 and the amounts that they require very based upon the amount or lack of applicants.

You are right that the rationale is not clear, they have, to my knowledge never really stated what they are achieving with paid connects but I believe they want you, as a freelancer, to have more skin in the game and thus prevent you from bidding willy-nilly on jobs and wasting clients time. If the cost of connects is serious you will definitely take it more seriously.

As for whose fault? I am not sure fault is the right word but if we must assign it, I think it is yours. Even if it wasn't, it certainly isn't Upworks. When this happens to me I think to myself well I could have done a better job selling that...

Sometimes though I think maybe that person is just flightly and I dodge a bullet.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths