cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why two filters regarding freelancer's hourly rate?

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
11 of 80

Oh dear - I was happier and more confident in landing jobs before I knew about these filters!

Anyway, I just put it to the test and searched for freelancers offering legal translations.

I selected "intermediate level" and found myself on page 11 (my hourly rate is $44); fine, I haven't been here for a very long time. But legal translations is one of the skills displayed on my portfolio and it's one of my selected categories. The words legal and translation are mentioned in my overview, title, employment history and portfolio. What more could I do?

There's a female translator listed on the first page who mentions the word legal in her overview and job history. She has completed one single job (nothing legal). On page 9 there is a freelancer from India who specializes in web and mobile apps, functional & automation (QTP) testing - and of course does not offer anything resembling translations at all. 

Then I selected "expert level" and that's when it got interesting: none of the people on the first page even had "legal translation" selected as one of their sills. That means they selected it at least as a category, right??

I chose one translator, who also didn't use the word legal at all in a very detailed profile overview. He had one job out of 43 that had the word legal in the job description (legal content proofreader). It was a $13.33 job for which he hadn't received feedback. 

So, that makes him a legal translations expert how exactly? I am not saying he's not a great translator - but why do I choose skills, carefully write my overview, select categories when other people get listed at the top in my field who don't even promote themselves for this kind of job?

I won't do another search for my other categories. It is too depressing.

It's no wonder I hardly get any relevant invites.

P.S. edited after I saw Lena's post: I don't remember this question at all but am rather sure I would have selected "expert". Is there a way to find out and/or change this? I mean, a person who started out as entry level 3 years ago won't stay entry level until forever on this platform, right??

Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
12 of 80

@Ela K wrote:

Oh dear - ...

That's what I'm talking here for some time. Earlier, in front of me in results, in design - presentations category, was a translator, whose only experience with presentations was not design but content translation. One job in some 20 or 30. 

13 of 80
I would really appreciate if somebody could explain to me how the (freelancer) search algorithm works - does it look for categories only? Why do I appear on page 11 only and lots of people who don't even offer legal translations are ranked ahead of me?
Thanks.
Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
14 of 80

@Ela K wrote:
I would really appreciate if somebody could explain to me how the (freelancer) search algorithm works - does it look for categories only? Why do I appear on page 11 only and lots of people who don't even offer legal translations are ranked ahead of me?
Thanks.

Architects and webdesigners in presentation category over here.

15 of 80

Why I'm not getting any decent reply to this apsurd I pointed out?

16 of 80

I too would like somebody to explain how the search filters work. And how to adjust the level of experience - in case that is possible at all.

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
17 of 80

@Lena  (Please reply)

Yesterday you showed how freelancers would have set their experience level when signing up. Yet it appears so far none of the established freelancers on here recall ever having to do that. I certainly don't. So could you please clarify:

a) when that feature was introduced;

b) where it is viible on a profile (I can't see it on mine);

c) How it is possible to access it and adjust it via profile settings, bcause nobody replying so far has been able to find it; and

d) whether this metric that nobody knows about is used to automatically choose people for recommendations.

I always appreciate replies from other users of course, but in this case we really need a reply from Lena (or another mod if Lena is sick or on holiday). So it may be best to keep this post clear (signify your agreement with kudos if you ish) so the question stays near the top and is not missed.

Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
18 of 80

Good questions here and we're checking on them. We'll come back when we have more info.

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
19 of 80

Thanks Garnor - I look forward with interest  to your reply.

Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
20 of 80

Iv'e been following this thread with interest, because my account is old old old. I did find something "something" related to this in my profile,  I can set a number anywhere from 1 to 20 YEARS. I currently have it set to 20, and if that setting is making me an expert in ALL the services I provide, that scares me. 

I set that number way back in the day because of my years in the corporate world doing, oddly, much of what I do now remotely.

However, some things I've only been doing as a remote contractor for 3-5 years. Maybe an expert to some people, but not to others.

I look forward to hearing more about this Garnor. It's clearly something has been overlooked because of all the big changes lately, but if it affects us being found in Search, etc, it's a big deal.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS