cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why two filters regarding freelancer's hourly rate?

Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
31 of 80

"We have got confirmation from the team that the experience level isn't used to find a match to clients. So it doesn't impact freelancers' ability to find jobs and the clients ability to find freelancers."

No offense but I'm not sure if this is correct. I searched for my name using only the experience level and the category (writing-editing). I have been classified as an expert. When I limit the search to these two parameter, my name shows up. 

But when I change the experience level to intermediate, I don't show up. This means that if a client is looking for an editor and hits an experience level of intermediate, I won't show up in the results.

This clearly does impact on my  "ability to find jobs and the clients ability to find freelancers."

Now, I don't want to be put into the entry level for editors but I also don't want to be knocked out of the intermediate level. In addition, I checked the price range set by freelancers who have been classifed at either the expert and intermediate level and they are basically the same This means that even though a client may be willing to pay my price, the client won't find me by looking through the intermediate level.

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
32 of 80

So could you answer how it is determined? Is it just another secret Upwork formula? And if it's not used in filtering, what is the point of it?

"It won't be possible to select multiple experience levels."

Why would we want to? I just want to know what it is and how it's determined.

As a person becomes more experienced, does the experience level go up?

There are a lot of questions, but basically to me it just looks like another dark metric introduced by stealth. Sorry I can't be more potitive - I really do try

Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
33 of 80

@Stephen B wrote:

So could you answer how it is determined? Is it just another secret Upwork formula? And if it's not used in filtering, what is the point of it?

Stephen, it is used in filtering. Just try the same method which David described above

And you might want to use multiple experience levels if you are pro in eg. accounting (Excel), but intermediate in webdesign.  

@Krisztina U wrote:

I recently posted a job denoting I was looking for an expert. A few folks who had strong profiles, relevant skills, and an over 90% JS score ended up in the hidden folder. They all had a fairly low rate in common (less than $10/hr) and were probably in the beginner level, so it does seem to be one of the values the matchmaker algorithm looks at.

Oh, well! That's the second impact already!

It's not just that clients can't find me when they are searching for freelancers through use of filters, but also they won't see me because I'll be in hidden folder when I apply for a job. 

Great, just great!

34 of 80

@Stephen B wrote:

As a person becomes more experienced, does the experience level go up?

There are a lot of questions, but basically to me it just looks like another dark metric introduced by stealth. Sorry I can't be more potitive - I really do try

What is worse is I am no where to be found under experience levels and if it was what I had suspected, the option that use to be there of "How many years experience do you have?" It is gone and I can't even check it to see if this was why I am not showing in the experience levels.

It also seems that the mods are totally ignorning the thread hoping it is going to go away.

I really want to know why I can't be found at all unless one searches my name?

How is this helping me as a top rated freelancer to find clients? How is this helping any other freelancer if they can't be found in the search results under experience levels. 

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
35 of 80

Hi All,

Unfortunately, we do not have enough information to clarify and answer all your questions right now. Rest assured though that we are working on getting more information about the experience filters as well as about search algorithm in general.

Thank you for your patience.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
36 of 80

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi Stephen,

We have got confirmation from the team that the experience level isn't used to find a match to clients. So it doesn't impact freelancers' ability to find jobs and the clients ability to find freelancers.

That simply is not true! It's like the team you are referring to, or all of you mods, didn't even bother to read my entry post. No - clients can't find me among intermediate if I'm in expert category. Vice versa. I checked that multiple times. Why don't you try the same? It isn't so hard. 

It does impact my ability to get a job. It impacts a lot! 

You better should write no response if it doesn't answer anything at all.

I'm sorry Valeria for this harsh post, you seem as a nice person, but I'm so mad and upset because of UpWork's constant inability to fix the most important things. 

37 of 80

Now that I tried to search myself without specifying so much (Writing, and skill level: all three) I couldn't find me in like 5 pages of each LOL

This is really weird. I'm fortunate to have long-term clients.

Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
38 of 80

I recently posted a job denoting I was looking for an expert. A few folks who had strong profiles, relevant skills, and an over 90% JS score ended up in the hidden folder. They all had a fairly low rate in common (less than $10/hr) and were probably in the beginner level, so it does seem to be one of the values the matchmaker algorithm looks at.

Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
39 of 80
Finally some "evidence." Also this hidden folder business is unpleasant to think about.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
40 of 80

"I'm so mad and upset because of UpWork's constant inability to fix the most important thing"

Ditto here - but also their inability to even give answers in a way that sounds as if someone somewhere knows the answer to the questions. It's like (I think Krisztina) said a couple of weeks back, as if someone inputted the code and then died. It took a full two weeks to get, at best, vague answers to the specific questions, and still it seems that the experience on the ground does not corroborate those answers in any way. Does anyone at Upwork truly know how it works, or is it made up from day to day?

(Nothing personal Valeria...)

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS