cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why two filters regarding freelancer's hourly rate?

Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
41 of 80

@Stephen B wrote:

"I'm so mad and upset because of UpWork's constant inability to fix the most important thing"

Ditto here - but also their inability to even give answers in a way that sounds as if someone somewhere knows the answer to the questions. It's like (I think Krisztina) said a couple of weeks back, as if someone inputted the code and then died. It took a full two weeks to get, at best, vague answers to the specific questions, and still it seems that the experience on the ground does not corroborate those answers in any way. Does anyone at Upwork truly know how it works, or is it made up from day to day?

(Nothing personal Valeria...)

Yes, it became extremely weird, to the point it's like it's some huge social research and not a workplace.

42 of 80

Hi all,

We apologize for the confusion here. We were misinformed in our responses to the issue. We'll follow up with our teams here so we can address the two issues being highlighted: 1. an inability to modify the experience setting and 2. the impact this has on search results. 

We won't have solutions on these issues right away, but it is something we'll work on.

Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
43 of 80

@Garnor M wrote:

Hi all,

We apologize for the confusion here. We were misinformed in our responses to the issue. We'll follow up with our teams here so we can address the two issues being highlighted: 1. an inability to modify the experience setting and 2. the impact this has on search results. 

We won't have solutions on these issues right away, but it is something we'll work on.

@Garnor,

Thank you for addressing the "confusion and misinformation" aspects.

@ other folks who have posted good data in this thread

Thank you for prompting me to turn on my availablity temporarily and check this myself. I was able to ID the "experience rank" my profile is being found under. That would be the " intermediate" setting, which based on a personal assessment, is where I would put myself now.

Having said this, I do belive that all of us 1) need to be able to adjust this ourselves and 2) understand how it affects Freelancer Search results.  Freelancers who may have "set" this experience rank 5 years ago may wish to adjust it. Freelancers who switch to offering services may need to upgrade or downgrade this setting.

I look forward to hearing an update on this topic in coming weeks.

Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
44 of 80

@Garnor M wrote:

Hi all,

Garnor, we don't necessarily need solutions straight away, although since it impacts users and puts some freelancers at a disadvantage, it would probably make sense to put it on top of the things to resolve list (if that even exists). But receiving a consistent answer on this shouldn't take weeks. Last year you personally promised us that you guys will get better at communicating changes before they occur. It's now more than six months later. How much longer do you think it will take? Thanks

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
45 of 80

Some of you stated you didn't remember choosing a level of experience, and I might be wrong, but there use to be a setting for How many years of experience do you have? It use to be where you set your hourly rate, and you title information. I don't see that option any longer, and I am not positive this was the setting that was being referred to, but I remember seeing this in the old profile.

What is real interesting if I can find myself searching without filters, but once experience level is set I cannot find myself at all. I ask someone else to try and she could not find me either. So either I did not have mine set or I am special with no experience level Smiley Tongue

I believe that the years of experience then was most likely calculated with oDesk/Upwork to determine what experience level you were. But I may be wrong here. 

Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
46 of 80

@Suzanne N wrote:

<snip>

What is real interesting if I can find myself searching without filters, but once experience level is set I cannot find myself at all. I ask someone else to try and she could not find me either. So either I did not have mine set or I am special with no experience level Smiley Tongue

I believe that the years of experience then was most likely calculated with oDesk/Upwork to determine what experience level you were. But I may be wrong here. 

I would be that somone that Suzanne mentions above. I spent over an hour trying to find Suzanne in search results. I conducted basic searches, advanced searches. I tried every trick I know about.

I could only find Suzannae if I searched HER name, without the experiance filter.

I suspect she never set this "experiance" thing, and hence, isn't being found.

Also, while doing this research for Suzanne, I found myself, and a couple of other freelancers I know by name and reputation. NONE of us had anything to do with the search terms I was using.

Community Guru
47 of 80

Mods, 

Could you confirm or not whether my guess about the option is missing for this? Was it not "How many years experience you have"?

Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
48 of 80

It was there, in profile settings. I checked on 14th May when I replied to Stephen. 

Now it's gone. 

49 of 80

@Vesna M wrote:

It was there, in profile settings. I checked on 14th May when I replied to Stephen. 

Now it's gone. 

I can confirm that.

Community Guru
50 of 80

@Vesna M wrote:

Now it's gone. 

Vesna,

I spent some time trying to find it as I thought I had not picked how much experience I had and I can't find it anywhere. I sure would like to know why some features disappearred without notification which most likely have to do with our experience levels. I evidently don't have one which means unless someone searches my name directly, I will not be found in searches.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS