cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why unable to bid any application $1-$2.

Highlighted
Md. Al Mamun S Member Since: Jun 4, 2012
1 of 23
Hi freelance! I need help. I can't bid any application rate $1-2$. Please give me valuable suggestion.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Tony H Member Since: Nov 10, 2011
2 of 23
They have implemented a $4/hr minimum for 'some' contractors. Unfortunately, I don't think this is universal and you just happened to end up in the pile of people who got screwed while they 'test' things
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Sherajum M Member Since: Apr 3, 2012
3 of 23
[quote=Tony H.]They have implemented a $4/hr minimum for 'some' contractors.[/quote] Sorry, you're wrong. Please read this topic.
Highlighted
Community Guru
4 of 23
The reason I gave this response to the OP was directly because the forum mods have been saying... [quote]However we are not currently implementing a universal minimum wage.[/quote] The thread you link to has the same mod saying the same quote. Not universal... from my understanding universal means something applies to everyone.
Highlighted
Robin C Member Since: Jan 10, 2012
5 of 23
It says nowhere in the quote from oDesk that it only affects "some contractors." It simply states that it is not universal yet, which can mean a number of things, most likely of which is that it only affects some jobs. It is possible that it is only affecting some freelancers, but stating that as a fact is stretching things a bit far. It could, in fact, be both: some jobs and some freelancers.
Highlighted
Community Guru
6 of 23
It IS on the contractor side. I'm going to post proof on another thread to make sure everyone sees it
Highlighted
Community Guru
Mandy D Member Since: Jul 29, 2013
7 of 23
I for one am very glad to hear this. I'm new on ODesk, but have spent some time setting up a profile and applying for jobs. Being new, I need to start off somewhere to gain some recognition so am looking at quick Data Input jobs. I noticed that almost all job offers start off "lowest bidder wins" and contractors are applying at $0.50 per hour. Even at an exchange rate of 10 to 1 this is equal to working for nothing. It is not even worth doing a basic, tedious, copy/paste job for this pay. So I gave up and moved on. It is not worth my while spending hours searching jobs only to be confronted with this maximum pay most of the time. The contractors applying at this rate are to blame - they set the standards and are allowing this exploitation. I have little idea of their local economy, but cannot believe that they can run a computer, pay for internet connections, electricity and other office costs and still earn an income at $0.50 per hour. I do know that it costs more than this per hour to run an office in South Africa ... and we have a poor economy. Hopefully with this new minimum, things will improve and it will be worthwhile looking for jobs again.
Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 23
It doesn't mean tat all those low paying clients are suddenly going to pay more. very few may, while the vast majority just won't offer the work anymore. If that pay rate isn't enough for your situation, then simply don't apply for them. Or... try to learn new skills that the market sees more valuable. This is a free market, not a 'job' protected by government laws. We are all technically sole proprietors. It is up to each and every one of us to offer services that are, in the eyes of the market, worth enough to happily live from. The few who do end up doing better with this will probably end up calling **** on me, while the ones who lost what little they had will fade away and remain silent. Aside from some *** and complaining that will go away after time, this will all probably be swept under the rug without much care from the freelancers and clients who remain *[Removed by Admin]
Highlighted
Community Guru
Mandy D Member Since: Jul 29, 2013
9 of 23
Implementing this on some jobs or clients may get rid of the masses of jobs advertised at ridiculous rates. It is a free market, no doubt about that, but when you see clients offering $0.50 per hour for Excel input and receiving a volume of applications it creates the impression that that is an average rate for that type of work. My fear is that eventually the unsavoury clients will flood the site with junk jobs and sifting through the garbage will just become a waste of time.
Highlighted
Community Guru
10 of 23
I understand. .. honesty. But maybe a waste of time for you, not a waste of time for others who are capable of doing the same work and happy to do it for less. Welcome to globalization. It's not going to be good for those who thought living in luxury was the norm. Certified accountants in Mexico, for one of the largest firms in the world make about $3/hr. Those are highly intelligent an University educated people. Flipping burgers pays less than $1/hr Making $1/hr for copy/paste work for someone with little to no education is a pretty damn good job opportunity. That opportunity will no longer be there with minimums implemented. (not saying you specifically apply for those, just as an example) oDesk ISN'T a place for people who want to earn 1st world wages. People come here all the time expecting to make good money.. but this just isn't the right place to look for that kind of work. Those jobs are definitely the minority here.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS