cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why unable to bid any application $1-$2.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Heather H Member Since: May 9, 2011
11 of 23
[quote=Tony H.]It's not going to be good for those who thought living in luxury was the norm. oDesk ISN'T a place for people who want to earn 1st world wages. People come here all the time expecting to make good money.. but this just isn't the right place to look for that kind of work. Those jobs are definitely the minority here.[/quote] Living is the norm, luxury is relative. My mother in laws servant is happy if she gets ONE chicken a month, wheras, on average, my kids eat 2 whole chickens a DAY. it depends on what your standards of living are. You certainly can earn 1st world wages here, if you have the skills and the work ethic to land those clients. I do, and looking at your profile, you do to Tony. I also would not say they are in the minority here either, I have had those type of clients for the last 3 years, and so have countless other contractors. I think the large issue is, people with no skills cant expect to make 1st world wages or get good paying clients. For people who actually treat their freelancing as a business, and work within the niche they actually obtained a degree for, they can make much more, while working a lot less than even some of the better jobs here in the 1st world. Heck, Washington DC is very costly to live, but I make much more freelancing than I ever did working for the goverment, or in the private sector here. Not to mention, I get to do it in my pajamas, wihtout make up, with toddlers crawling over me Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
12 of 23
It's up to oDesk to decide what it's going to be a place for. Not you or me.
Highlighted
Robin C Member Since: Jan 10, 2012
13 of 23
[quote=Tony H.]oDesk ISN'T a place for people who want to earn 1st world wages. People come here all the time expecting to make good money.. but this just isn't the right place to look for that kind of work. Those jobs are definitely the minority here.[/quote] @Tony, how in the world do you know what kind of place oDesk aspires to be. It seems clear that they are at least considering changes that affect the kind of business done here. Sticking with preconceived notions about what oDesk is and isn't is likely to be a stumbling block for many if/when oDesk moves forward with these types of changes.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Tony H Member Since: Nov 10, 2011
14 of 23
I'm not by any means trying to assume what aspires to be. In other threads I have said it's probably a smart and necessary business move. I'm actually a proponent for the minimum rate, in terms of oDesk becoming a better business for it. It's HOW they implemented it that bugs me. ...which has been irrelevant to any of the discussions n the forums about this so far. I'm referring to what oDesk is 'today'. Not going to try to justify my perspective on the oDesk market as it will just end up in a long debate I don't have the energy for. But I do strongly believe that oDesk has more job posting under the 1st world average living wages than they do above. Assuming minimum wages are $8-10/hr, and living may be a little higher for the average. I'm not talking about the number of dollars that go through oDesk vs the number of jobs, to clarify. My perception comes from the notion that more people are employed under that $8-10/hr rate than those above it.
Highlighted
Robin C Member Since: Jan 10, 2012
15 of 23
[quote=Tony H.]In other threads I have said it's probably a smart and necessary business move. I'm actually a proponent for the minimum rate, in terms of oDesk becoming a better business for it.[/quote] Yes, I have seen and commented on those. [quote=Tony H.]It's HOW they implemented it that bugs me. ...which has been irrelevant to any of the discussions n the forums about this so far.[/quote] I think it is rather smug to say that it has been irrelevant, as though you are the only one concerned. That is not what I see at all. If it is shown, in fact, that they have arbitrarily chosen just "some freelancers" then I am sure you will have to get in line to complain about how wrong that is. I actually wonder if that wouldn't violate some laws if it happens to US based freelancers? Unfortunately, your "proof" on your other thread leaves many unanswered questions. I am sure you realize that, given your line of work. For instance, it does not show anywhere that the two were applying for the same job. A vital bit of information there, if we are going to call it proof. [quote=Tony H.]I'm referring to what oDesk is 'today'. Not going to try to justify my perspective on the oDesk market as it will just end up in a long debate I don't have the energy for. But I do strongly believe that oDesk has more job posting under the 1st world average living wages than they do above. Assuming minimum wages are $8-10/hr, and living may be a little higher for the average. I'm not talking about the number of dollars that go through oDesk vs the number of jobs, to clarify. My perception comes from the notion that more people are employed under that $8-10/hr rate than those above it.[/quote] This is just confusing. What are you even trying to say here? I am not sure what minimum wages have to do with the minimum "rates" discussion? Actually, I just can't comment on the above part of your post. Although it is directed at my comment, I cannot understand its relevance. It seems like speculation about irrelevant information to me. Oh, and the basis for your notion. It's still confusing, speculative, and irrelevant. Sorry.
Highlighted
Community Guru
16 of 23
[quote] For instance, it does not show anywhere that the two were applying for the same job. A vital bit of information there, if we are going to call it proof. [/quote] I don't want to get into a long discussion on all the points in all the replies, it's just going to take too long an will confuse me one it hits the second page... but I want to respond to this. You'll just have to take my word for it. Contractor #2 is me. Contractor #1 is a forum friend everyone knows, but will leave her name out unless she wants to provide it. We applied for the same job at the same time and both took screenshots. The text near the top "Trial consultation" is the job posting title, and then under it is all the content the client gave "Consultation of business" Both for same images. Other than that... you'll just have to believe I'm not making those images up lol
Highlighted
Community Guru
Margaret P Member Since: Jul 7, 2007
17 of 23
[quote=Tony H.]oDesk ISN'T a place for people who want to earn 1st world wages. People come here all the time expecting to make good money.. but this just isn't the right place to look for that kind of work. Those jobs are definitely the minority here.[/quote] Really? I see you making $111.11/hr. What is that if not 1st world rates? I just find it amusing that for years I have read people moaning about minimum wage here on the forums so oDesk implement a minimum bid and now we hear moaning about that. I think people just like to complain not matter what.
Highlighted
Community Guru
18 of 23
You're absolutely right. People will complain no matter what. In fact, if you didn't cherry pick one small phrase of what I've been saying the past few days to complain about, you might even see that I'm supportive of the minimum if it means a better oDesk. I feel very badly for those who could lose their earnings if this minimum sticks, and I feel bad for those who it has been implemented on while their competition have not been affected. Yes, I do make good money here by the hour... but that is also in the extreme minority here. So I'm not sure why you chose to quote and go after me... I made a point to point that out, lol. So talking about people who like to complain for the sake of complaining... look in the mirror before you decide to single someone out Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Community Guru
Mandy D Member Since: Jul 29, 2013
19 of 23
I was viewing the newly implemented minimum from a different perspective. I have been applying for start-off, simple jobs to get a foot in the door on ODesk. At this stage I need hours, ratings and to build confidence in working with remote clients. It looks like I have no choice but to apply for quick jobs at $1 per hour. Other jobs mostly require hours and ratings. My searches come up with 100s of jobs where the client’s work history shows previous jobs billed at less than $1 per hour. This shows me a trend of exploitation. BUT having read things from your perspective, I can understand why so many would be unhappy with this change. Here in South Africa the vast majority of people live of ZAR3,000 ($300) per month. So earning $1.50 per hour would be sufficient for them. (This does not even include the 57% unemployed who live off the government allowance of ZAR1,250 ($125) per month.) So Tony, I have rethought my opinion and now tend to agree with you. I’ll just have to continue sifting through the masses until I can find my first job and take it from there. Doubt I’ll ever reach your hourly rate ;-) , but will be quite happy to land regular work at $25 per hour. PS: I admire you taking this stand in something that obviously does not apply to, or affect you.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
20 of 23
I believe Tony is also a client, so it could affect him.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS