🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Why upwork let client to post a different hou...
Page options
eafec8a8
Community Member

Why upwork let client to post a different hourly rate in the contract

Why does Upwork let clients post a different hourly rate in the contract which is lower than in the Job proposal?

Because I had this experience where a Job posted for an hourly rate of 25$ and I submitted my proposal. After that, I had a few meetings but the client urgest to me start working without the contract and I just refused. After a while, they offered me the contract with an hourly rate of 6$. Which is unacceptable. I wasted a lot of time creating a proposal and also communicating with the client. And this is a harsh experience for a newcomer for Upwork.

My simple question is that "why Upwork allows clients to submit proposals that have a lower rate than the posted job".

Cheers!

A New Member

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kinector
Community Member

The rates in the job description are for reference only. I just got invited to a job with hourly rate ranging from $32 to $100. My rate is triple that and I'm sure the client saw it. You can discuss and negotiate your rates during the interview.

In this case, if you had an interview, you probably want to reflect on what went wrong in explaining your value to the client.

If you got the offer without an interview, the client is a Shopper aiming to get stuff done either free or dirt cheap, and most likely whatever you do won't impress the client if any money is paid. No victory with these guys.

If you already rejected the offer, you did well. Never go below your level because every job will stay in your work history forever.

Good luck Rahal! 👍

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
kinector
Community Member

The rates in the job description are for reference only. I just got invited to a job with hourly rate ranging from $32 to $100. My rate is triple that and I'm sure the client saw it. You can discuss and negotiate your rates during the interview.

In this case, if you had an interview, you probably want to reflect on what went wrong in explaining your value to the client.

If you got the offer without an interview, the client is a Shopper aiming to get stuff done either free or dirt cheap, and most likely whatever you do won't impress the client if any money is paid. No victory with these guys.

If you already rejected the offer, you did well. Never go below your level because every job will stay in your work history forever.

Good luck Rahal! 👍

Thank you for the reply. I wasn't sure what's the impact of rejecting such an offer. Because offers are hard to come by. But when I read your reply I realise I did the right thing. Thank you again.

Cheers!

Rahal

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Rahal D wrote:

Why does Upwork let clients post a different hourly rate in the contract which is lower than in the Job proposal?

Because I had this experience where a Job posted for an hourly rate of 25$ and I submitted my proposal. After that, I had a few meetings but the client urgest to me start working without the contract and I just refused. After a while, they offered me the contract with an hourly rate of 6$. Which is unacceptable. I wasted a lot of time creating a proposal and also communicating with the client. And this is a harsh experience for a newcomer for Upwork.

My simple question is that "why Upwork allows clients to submit proposals that have a lower rate than the posted job".

Cheers!

A New Member

You probably mean "send offers", since clients don't submit proposals, freelancers do. The answer is: because it can be higher or lower, depending on what client and freelancer agree to. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members