🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Why won't I get hired on Upwork?
Page options
73e1f459
Community Member

Why won't I get hired on Upwork?

Hello Upworkers.

I joined Upwork since November last year, as a ghostwriter/content writer. But I became active towards the end of March this year, since then I have written up to 30 proposals, yet know one seems to hire me. Could it be because I look young? Or black? I just want someone to check my profile and find out if there is something I can amend.

Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8
petra_r
Community Member

Gift O wrote:
 I just want someone to check my profile and find out if there is something I can amend.

Your profile seems to be set to private, so we can't check it, Do you have a great set of your best work in your portfolio? Are your proposals error-free? Is your overview well written and engaging? Do you bring your professional experience as a writer across effectively?

I appreciate that this is a forum post and not a proposal or profile, but for a writer to make a mistake like this isn't ideal:

...yet know one seems to hire me.

73e1f459
Community Member

I can't reset my profile to public, can I get any help?
petra_r
Community Member

Gift O wrote:
I can't reset my profile to public, can I get any help?

Click on the green button on this page

Hi Gift,

I went ahead and updated your profile visibility. Please check this help article to learn more about how you can avoid having your profile automatically set to private.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
tlbp
Community Member

Upwork already had a lot of writers before the pandemic--many more writers than writing clients. The ones who are most likely to get hired are those who have been here longer and have reviews for their previous work. New writers are going to struggle to stand out because of this. To be competitive you must be able to offer something other writers can't do (maybe it's special knowledge of a niche or samples that are exactly what the client is looking for).

For gigs where you don't have something that makes you uniquely qualified, it is solely a matter of luck. Many gigs get 50 proposals, so you are starting with just a 1 in 50 chance. Then, some of those gigs never hire anyone which reduces your chances even further. 

Start studying the marketplace. Look at the jobs you sent proposals to: Have the hired anyone? If so, who and for how much? 

73e1f459
Community Member

Thank you
petra_r
Community Member

Gift O wrote:
 I just want someone to check my profile and find out if there is something I can amend.

You need to proofread your entire profile, including your portfolio descriptions and items. It is littered with mistakes and most of your overview makes little actual sense. As a writer, your profile can't have so many mistakes. Chances are that your proposals are in a similar English.

It might be an idea to adjust your English level to something a little more realistic.

You are trying to compete in one of the most competitive categories on the platform. The one basic, non-negotiable requirement for a writer is correct English. Clients look at your profile and don't find that.

a_lipsey
Community Member

Clients also expect to see expert level writing when you label yourself an "expert."  Your profile and samples are not the quality of an expert. You can likely find entry level work, but you aren't going to land work if you don't market yourself appropriately. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members