Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why you should consider "Not Verified" Posts

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
11 of 45

@Enes T wrote:

You've said that for you a funded milestone is good enough.

I said "For me personally" after I advised to tell the client you start once it's verified. maybe your potential client just wanted to work specifically with you (your profile is impressive!) and rather than turning it down maybe telling him you'll accept once the verification is completed would have been more profitable?

entvmusic
Ace Contributor
Enes T Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
12 of 45

I didn't turn it down.

I told them Upwork requires for them to verify their payment method before any work can commence.

They haven't verified it yet.

But, i think the main point in all of this is why Upwork would allow for clients to be able to make offers without having verified payment method, allowing them to dodge Escrow secured payments all together?

petra_r
Community Guru
13 of 45

@Enes T wrote:

I didn't turn it down.

OK. I based my comment on

@Enes T wrote:

Just a couple of days ago i turned down an offer,

entvmusic
Ace Contributor
Enes T Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
14 of 45

Petra, by turning it down i meant i didn't press accept button but instead asked from them to first verify their payment method.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
15 of 45

Hi Enes,

A client is able to fund a milestone before their credit card verification is completed. Freelancers will see Escrow pending in these cases. Freelancers can then choose to accept a contract while Escrow funds are pending, but we do not recommend working on the contract until the payment method is verified and Escrow is formally funded. Recall, Fixed-Price Protection is available only when the payment method is verified. This is why freelancers are not obligated to begin working on a project until the payment method is verified.

~ Valeria
Upwork
njdeyo
Ace Contributor
Nancy J. D Member Since: Dec 1, 2015
16 of 45

That is so back-to-front. "Funded" should mean just that . . . the funds are there and available when the work has been completed. We shouldn't have to sift through the fine print; there shouldn't be any fine print.

petra_r
Community Guru
17 of 45

Great stuff, Setu, and I agree completely. I love working with new clients, they're usually enthusiastic. As has been mentioned: They often do need a little hand-holding, but my own experiences with brand new clients have been great.

setumonroe
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
18 of 45
@ Enes,

Everyone here, including Petra and the Mods always advise to start working AFTER the client's payment method has been verified.

What we are aiming at is to encourage freelancers to not simply "pass up" clients with "not verified" status. And also to share safe practices to help weed out scammers.

Furthermore, because the client has not replied, verified their payment method, or hired anyone as yet; does not mean that they are trying to scam freelances. There are many other possibilities as well as scamming.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
oquintela
Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
19 of 45

I submit a proposal whenever I see a job I'm interested in (=have the skills to do it/would like to work on it) - I don't care if the client is new, if there's 10 or 20 proposals already, etc. My "Marketing effectiveness" stats show me that my strategy is not wrong.

l_pouncey
Community Guru
Linda P Member Since: Aug 1, 2015
20 of 45

Setu,

It's not only that the "Payment Method Not Verified", but what about "No Location" being shown.

I recently withdrew and flagged a job posting, because of the invitation received. And yes, the "Payment Method Not Verified" and showed "No Location", as well.

The invitation was:

1) Not an Hourly Job, nor was it forTyping PDF files, but rather $20 for 1000 entries, but would only pay after 5000 entries

2) Mandatory to download software, which usualy is blocked by my Norton software

3) They wanted payment method sent to a "gmail" account, not to mention offering various methods of payment

4) The real clincher, the FAKE name, they have on their account

I applied when there were approximately 40 - 46 bidders. At the time I received the interview there were 120 bidders. Job Posting still shows, but with 0 bidders.

And yes, it is possible to have Payment Methods Verified, before any Client hires a Freelancer.

Out of 20 job postings, here are 10 no hires (was careful not to include Client ID number):

3 with Verified, only 1 with a Location (Blue Outlined)

7 Not Verified, only 1 with a Locatoin (Red Outlined - Location, all others Not Outlined)

Not Verified.png

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS