cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why you should consider "Not Verified" Posts

triciaallen25
Tricia A Member Since: Dec 15, 2015
31 of 45
I'm fairly new to upwork and was advised by a friend to ignore the "unverified" posts. But based on this discussion I can see where reevaluating my options could pay off in the long run. I've seen many interesting jobs out there that I would love to bid on but ignored them. Thanks for posting this discussion .
setumonroe
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
32 of 45
Hi Tricia,

I am happy the data is being of use. Just ensure the read the thread in its entirety. Some of these results are also surprising to me.

Bidding on "not verified" jobs is not in most freelancers strategy, but this data shows that there is merit in investigating the opportunities in these jobs.

From personal experience, I have had a lot of success by including these jobs, but also choosing wisely. This is why I share the data.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
setumonroe
Community Guru
33 of 45

Terminal Data

In the end, 33% of the new clients who posted jobs got their payment method verified. Of this 33%, 78% of them hired someone for their project. The first 4 days of a job being posted showed the most activity of hiring, after which the rate slowed down dramatically. (Upwork advertises that most clients hire within 3 days of posting - this seems to be accurate)

I believe, that many 'legitimate' clients are searching for the right freelancer, and never seem to find that person. This can be evidenced from the fact that clients still hire all throughout the 30 day period. I also think that because many experienced freelancers simply bypass (filter out) posts which have an unverified payment method, clients are forced to hire less experienced freelancers, or no one at all.

This also creates an opportunity for new freelancers to get established, and have an easier time landing a job. The data suggests that we should spend the time to capture that +33% business opportunity, by strategically weeding out the spam posts. In this competitive environment, we cannot afford not to.

Also, it would be one less potential client to leave the platform, because he/she could not find an appropriate match for their project.

Final_table.png

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
34 of 45

Thank you Setu Smiley Happy

Fascinating stuff as always....

Would it be a real pain to ask what percentage of verified clients's job postings result in a hire in the same time period?

I still wholeheartedly agree that freelancers ignore new clients to their detriment. Once you weed out the chancers and scammers the rest are more likely to hire, there is less cometition and in my experience the bit of extra hand-holding that is usually required is more than worth it.....

stephenbrightman
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
35 of 45

I agree with everything above... and then of course the elephant in the room is Upwork's insistence on deciding what they show to clients, in terms of (a) recommending people who haven't even expressed an interest, and (b) by ordering the people who have expressed an interest by some arcane criteria, and imposing different levels of visibilty on them.. It's quite possible/entirely probable that a lot of these clients don't find what they're looking for because of the way they're presented to them by Upwork. And all these decisions are made by a variety of robots/algorithms/roborithms that have time and time again on these forums been shown to be not only ineffective, but worse than random. The elephant is not only taking up the whole of the sofa and blocking the view of the telly, it's lying on the remote control.

Upwork is (badly) automating itself out of business...

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
36 of 45

New clients are awesome. I love working with new clients.

If a client agrees to my rates and sends me a hire offer, I'll work for them as long as their payment method is verified or their milestone is funded. New client or experienced client, does not really matter.

I start with small milestones or I use an hourly rate contract with EVERY client who is new to ME. So I apply the same safety filters universally.

You may have worked with 100 contractors before me, but you have not worked with ME, so I don't trust you enough to start work with an unverified payment method or unfunded milestones no matter who you are.

marcyscreed
Community Guru
Maria Marilyn M Member Since: Oct 27, 2010
37 of 45

If the project is interesting, I suggest you accept the invite for interview or apply. If the client is really interested in hiring and is in the process of verifying their payment method, it will be fixed after a few business days. In case they hire you before their account is verified, you can request for them to fix the issue with their payment first before you start working.

I've had several clients who were new and eventually grew in the site in terms of paid contracts and number of hires. So, do try to give a new client a chance in the same manner that someone hired you even if you were fairly new on this platform. Just be careful though and take note of my suggestions above. 

kyle05
Kyle F Member Since: May 29, 2017
38 of 45

I must admit, I've been avoiding unverified clients like the plague. This thread has opened my eyes (and made me feel a little guilty, too). Thanks to everyone above. 

I was invited for an interview, which brought me here. The client has been on Upwork since Oct 2016 and not yet verified payment. But it is the first job posted by the client, so I'll give it a chance. 

I'll update this post with the outcome. 

setumonroe
Community Guru
39 of 45
Good to see this post is still useful.

@ Kyle
Good luck with the interview.
colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
40 of 45

@Setu M wrote:
Good to see this post is still useful.

@ Kyle
Good luck with the interview.

Setu, would you please come back to us - permanently.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS