Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why you should consider "Not Verified" Posts

setumonroe
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
21 of 45
@ Linda,

The more you get accustomed to the platform, the better you will be at spotting those type of posts.

The thread is mainly focused on encouraging freelancers to not avoid new clients solely on "not verified" status. But to use additional information to make better application decisions.

If including the absence of location is a trigger for your method, then you should see how well it works and incorporate it into your strategy.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
setumonroe
Community Guru
22 of 45

Update

After 8 days, 196 clients have now verified their payment status. That is 26.4% of the total (743*).

No increase in verification rate is expected, and so far it is below what I expected. Nevertheless, this is +26.4% more projects to bid on that may have been ruled out due to "not verified" status.

l_pouncey
Community Guru
Linda P Member Since: Aug 1, 2015
23 of 45

Ok Setu, I'm trying.....

Just received an Invitation from a Job, for which I had sent a Proposal.

Guess what!

1) "Payment Method Not Verified"

2) Invitation was for Work Not Mentioned in Job Description

3) Suggests Payment "Outside" of Upwork

4) Un-Pronounceable FAKE Name (i.e. Just Letters)

5) "No Location"

Well, if Clients were to have their "Payment Method Verified", then...

1) They would have to give their Real Name 

2) They would more likely Show their Location

2) It would Less Likely be a SCAM

That is why I would like to Vote (or Propose) to have a Payment Methods Verified and Client Contact Name Visible (Not Company Name), when jobs are posted...

1) By showing First Name, Last Initial, like We Freelancers do now, Proposals can be Personalized (Clients would like that)

2) We Freelancers, would not have to ask the Client to have their Payment Method Verified

3) Jobs can commence quicker

4) Less likely for Client to present a FAKE name 

5) Less likely for Client to post Scams

Oh, by the way, I did withdraw my bid. Another 2 connects wasted.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
24 of 45

Linda, I agree with you, but  if you report this job to CS with links and screenshots, you might well get your connects back.

l_pouncey
Community Guru
25 of 45

I have already "flagged" the job, before withdrawing.

Do you really think it would help to send CS a ticket as well?

l_pouncey
Community Guru
26 of 45

Nichola,  I did go ahead and submit a ticket to CS. Just thought I would let you know.

setumonroe
Community Guru
27 of 45
@ Linda,

No doubt, all you said would decrease the number of scam posts drastically, that we see here daily. But there would also be a reduction in legitimate job posts also.

In the mean time we have to use signals to weed out as much spam as possible.

The study is just to show how many legitimate opportunities are missed, just by filtering out clients with "not verified" payment status at the time of their job post.
setumonroe
Community Guru
28 of 45

Update

Half-way through the study, @ 15 days, 30% of the clients who had a "not verified" status at the time of their job post, have verified their payment method.

That is 30% more jobs that you could have applied for, which will possibly lead to a hire. +30% more potential clients for any business is a huge opportunity.

Not all businesses use the same strategy, the information is just her to make informed decisions.

l_pouncey
Community Guru
29 of 45

Setu,

Keeping with your study, how many have already hired and what categories are you talking about?

(Admin, Writing, etc..)

setumonroe
Community Guru
30 of 45

For a comprehensive breakdown of hire rates by categories and other factors, I would suggest here, since this dataset is small. It was not meant to be broken down into categories.

Nevertheless see the table below. A total of 220 Clients have verified their payment method in 15 days, 177 have hired since that time also. That is a whopping 80.5% (I actually feel bad now for sharing my secret information Smiley Happy).

To put that into perspective, even using Upworks 'official' hire rates that are posted on the clients profile; new clients that verify their payment method, hire at a rate of 80.5% compared to ~50% for existing clients. This info actually impresses me.

New verification_hire rate.png

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS