🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Will 2FA protect my account from unauthorized...
Page options
moby47
Community Member

Will 2FA protect my account from unauthorized password change?

If I setup either text message code confirmation or authentication code app.

Will it protect my account if someone else tried to change or reset my password?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

These are two different things:

a) setting up 2FA provides additional protection from unauthorized access to your account

and

b) setting up 2FA guarantees that there will be no unauthorized access to your account.

Upwork provides 2FA as an option for (a).

Upwork does not offer (b).

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter
Community Member

These are two different things:

a) setting up 2FA provides additional protection from unauthorized access to your account

and

b) setting up 2FA guarantees that there will be no unauthorized access to your account.

Upwork provides 2FA as an option for (a).

Upwork does not offer (b).

Thanks for the clarification. In conclusion: Is there any way to prevent
unauthorized password change?

As a new memeber I'ld request a profle feedback please leave your profile in comments I'll do soo aswell 

d59f180f_0-1689596000352.png

mwiggenhorn
Community Member

If it helps, I have been here since ODesk days and never, never has anyone accessed my account.  IMO, there are lots more things in life to w orry about. And I don't use 2FA because it's a pain.

moby47
Community Member

Haha. Thanks Mary.

re: "Thanks for the clarification. In conclusion: Is there any way to prevent unauthorized password change?"

I have used Upwork as a freelancer and client since 2014.

I do not use two-factor authorization (2FA).

I have never had a problem.

If you want to use 2FA, then go for it.

Many freelancers use it. Many do not use it.

You may have heard about freelancers whose passwords were changed and their accounts were hacked.

Let's be really honest about this:

Most of these freelancers (or maybe all of them) were violating Upwork rules or not using safe computing practices. As in this imagined example:

Francois shared his Upwork login credentials with his cousin, who logged time on the same account while working for clients. This way Francois and his cousin could both earn some money. But this cousin was not as trustworthy as Francois thought. His cousin got greedy and took over the account for himself.

But Francois never should have shared his account with ANYBODY.

And then there was Bernando:
Who let other people in his family use his laptop when he wasn't at home.

But a lot of people are in and out of Bernando's friendly home. Siblings, aunts, uncles, neighbors.

Somebody hacked Bernando's Upwork account.

After this happened, Bernando realized: He should have logged out of his local Windows account when not using his computer, and he should have logged out of his Upwork account when not using it, if he was going to let all sort of people use his laptop.

Wow, this is insightful, thank you Preston.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths