cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Will My Job Success Score Be Affected?

chualipei
Li Pei C Member Since: Jul 8, 2018
1 of 8

Hi, I have just let this client canceled a contract as he claimed I have plagiarised when I have not. He requested for refund not just for the current work.

May I know is there a way to report the client? And will my job success be affected by his low rating? As most of my current completed jobs are translations and only his job is completed writing job. The rest is still ongoing. Thanks.

Updated: I read here that there is a way to remove the feedback by giving a refund. But the first payment is currently pending. Will it double the amount paid to the client if I refund as he seems to have asked for a refund too?

kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 8

Clients asking for refunds and giving reasons such as plagiarized work, or didn't like work etc are becoming WAY too common on this site. Clients doing that get away with it and that reinforces that action and they continue to use it. 

Now, if, because you say, you only do translations and this is a writing job, you will need to honestly figure out if you had the skills to do this job professionally and produce quality work then you stand your ground and not give a refund. 

BUT,

if this is not your line of work, and you know someone could have done it better, and if you can honestly admit to yourself, you didn't have the skills for, and if you can look back and see if you really did just copy sentences or paragraphs throughout your work, then and only then should you give a refund - only on that basis. Your JSS iwill be affected whether or not you refund the amount paid to you. 

As for reporting this client, for what? For asking for a refund? That's not against Upwork's TOS. The client didn't violate anything. 

View solution in original post

chualipei
3 of 8
Thanks for for the tips! I am also a full time writer who is trying to build a writing portfolio on Upwork itself. Other than that, I have my own online portfolio. So yeah, will ignore that but never thought of the refund part. I thought of reporting the client in case other freelancers will be involved but I guess each to his own then. Thanks.
melaniekhenson
Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
4 of 8
Since July the client has accused three writers of plagiarism, including you; one freelancer said he was a bully; and one said he canceled for some odd reason and that he was sneaky. One disgruntled writer, okay; four or five on the first page of FB alone...the red flags are waving in spades.

Personally, I'd be asking CS to take a peek. He may have crossed the line more than once with feedback manipulation, which is against TOS, or else he's savvy enough to only accuse and demand refunds instead like he did with you and I guess three other people in the last half-year alone, but either way, this is a bit beyond coincidental. I can't remember the specifics but I believe clients who are shown to have a consistently threatening track record this way and hand out bad FB like candy...well...actually, I can't remember exactly. I think in some cases the FB may be removed? Somebody correct me but I distinctly remember reading something or other about that.

CS? What do you think?

Meanwhile, read prospective clients' FB before taking jobs. Really, you must vet clients.
melaniekhenson
Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
5 of 8
Also, please please don't give a refund. Yes, your JSS will take exactly the same hit anyway. But in addition, your FB given to him will disappear from view just like his for you will. Imagine how many people did give the refund, and how large a percentage of his jobs and awful feedback on his awful practices aren't showing up to warn freelancers...just in case the ones that have stayed live and visible aren't enough.
chualipei
6 of 8

Thanks, will not accept clients with such records anymore.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 8

Did you look at the client's feedback history (given and received?)

There is no amount of money that would have tempted me to work with them, let alone $ 5 for 1000 words.

chualipei
8 of 8

I guess I got tempted there when I tried to build up the writing portfolio quickly. Will go slow from now onwards. Thanks!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS