🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Will circumvention be charged without any...
Page options
usmanwdeveloper
Community Member

Will circumvention be charged without any contract?

Hello!

I am here to ask that if any client posts a new job post and a freelancer apply to that job post. Now client invites in the meeting and convinces the freelancer that they want him to work for their organization and we will be never using upwork, means for payment or work discussion etc. So, my question is, will the circumvention be applied for this client or not? If so then what will be the conversion fee? What I can see is this:

"The Upwork Conversion Fee is 12% of estimated earnings over a twelve (12) month period based on the freelancer’s hourly rate. Conversion Fee = 12% of hourly rate x 2,080 hours (52 wks x 40 hrs)".

Let's say the average hourly rate is $30, so it will become $7488!? Means a freelancer will be paying it on a contract which was never started?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
petra_r
Community Member

Muhammad Usman J wrote:

So, my question is, will the circumvention be applied for this client or not?

You mean the conversion fee.

As long as you met the client on Upwork, the fee becomes payable if you want to work outside the platform. Whether a contract was started of not is irrelevant.

Muhammad Usman J wrote:

Let's say the average hourly rate is $30, so it will become $7488!?

Yes.

richard_wein
Community Member

9thMuhammad Usman J wrote:

Let's say the average hourly rate is $30, so it will become $7488!? Means a freelancer will be paying it on a contract which was never started?

Well,  you wouldn't be paying it on a contract.  You'd be paying it instead of paying on a contract. It's an alternative way of paying Upwork for doing their work of helping you and your client to find each other. 

PradeepH

Hello Muhammad,

Taking a freelancer/client relationship and making payments off of Upwork is considered as Circumvention which is against our Terms of Service. All customers agree to follow this policy when they join Upwork. Taking a relationship outside of Upwork without paying the fee puts both the client and freelancer at risk for having their Upwork account permanently suspended, meaning they can no longer use Upwork at all. By paying the Conversion Fee, you can take the relationship and payments outside of Upwork and still stay in good standing on Upwork. You can refer to this Help article for more information

Thank you.

Pradeep H.

Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members